Respected Contributor

Social Media and the Covid Vaccine

[ Edited ]

I have seen a number of posts on Facebook in the last weeks of smiling people holding their vaccine cards and advising that they were fortunate enough to receive a first or second dose of the vaccine.

It seems that some here have started/participated in threads about the same thing.

I understand that people are thrilled they were able to do this; however, where I am, it is very difficult right now to even get an appointment anywhere.  Our county is getting very little vaccine for the amount of people who are in need.

My question: do you think, knowing of the scarcity of vaccine, it is thoughtless and inconsiderate for those on social media platforms to share their success when so many are in need and desperate to get the vaccine?

I am just not understanding the motivation of those who do.  Perhaps I am missing something.

What say you?

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

Re: Social Media and the Covid Vaccine

I'm sorry you can't get the vaccine. People are happy they got theirs so they post that. I don't think it is inconsiderate to post about it. I don't find it an exciting thing to post about but people should not contain their happiness until everyone is happy. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some people in local and national media are strongly advising AGAINST posting a photo of your vaccination card.

There are some who are able to take a photo and steal a person's identity.

No way would I share anything personal on social media.

Honored Contributor

I think they're celebrating a wonderful thing and encouraging others to sign up.

It's not as if Moderna and Pfizer etc stopped producing the vaccine. More is being made right now and there will be more and more available over time.

The Facebook posters are also showing that they got their shot and didn't grow a second head or have a horrible side effect. The more anecdotal proof like that, the more comfortable many of us will be. We can see what did or did not happen to the people who went before us.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I think they are just happy.  My vaccine has been postponed a couple of times because supply problems.  I hopefully will get the first one next Tuesday.  It won't change my life - I will still wear masks and follow the rules.  

Respected Contributor

@Mersha, I can see both sides.  

But for the most part, I love seeing the information about people receiving vaccines.  I usually woot, woot because I am thrilled that they have been able to receive a vaccine. And sharing that information is a way of letting people know that there are many out there that have received a vaccine and it should give hope to many that their time is coming.  Although some will always be pessimistic no matter what, many are glad to see that some are getting through the vaccine.

It also helps dispel some of the gross misinformation about the vaccine out there.  I can't believe at times what I have seen on Facebook claiming that the vaccine is causing the majority of people to die, etc.  But when you see all kinds of people reporting having had the vaccine, it helps put things into perspective & puts a damper on a lot of that misinformation. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

I think in the weeks to come, there will be more availability of the vaccine and there's a new vaccine coming out.  A single dose that only requires regular refrigeration.  That will be a big plus. I think it's ok if people post about receiving their vaccine online.  What I don't like are the people hop over others or use their connections and privilege to get the vaccine and then go on social media and brag about it.  They claim that they were offered "extra doses" but that's not true.  The wealthy, the privileged, the connected people always get special treatment.  And that is what is happening with the vaccine, it's just selfish and cruel when they brag about it.  

Esteemed Contributor

Some people have to post everything they do on Social Media...

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Some people in local and national media are strongly advising AGAINST posting a photo of your vaccination care.

There are some who are able to take a photo and steal a person's identity.

No way would I share anything personal on social media.

I have read that and in terms of Facebook, I just have to laugh.  If they are reading it on Facebook, those people already have access to your name, picture, and birthdate.  So there isn't any information on that certificate that people on Facebook don't already know about the person.

I can't speak for Twitter, Instagram, etc., since I don't do Twitter or Instagram.  They may be totally different as to the information people have about you on those social media platforms. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mersha   I would not post a picture of my vaccine card but I see nothing wrong in sharing that you got the vaccine. No one is trying to make others who haven't gotten it feel bad. I think it's a celebration that they got it . As well as an encouragement to others to hang in there your turn is coming.

Also everyone stating their experiences with side affects may calm some who are apprehensive about taking it.

Every week more & more vaccines are becoming available. Hang in there yours is coming.