Honored Contributor

Re: Social Media - One Big Commercial!

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

@MissMaggieMooHow is that any different than a QVC host saying, "And, Oprah uses this product for her eyelashes . . . blah, blah, blah."  Everytime they mention O's name, she makes money from QVC. What's the difference? 

@BirkiLady,  I think the difference is that you're talking about a direct sales pitch.   Whether it's referencing a celebrity or not, we know it's a commercial promotion.   On social media, there are "influencers" who pretend to be unbiased and impartial but who, in fact, are being compensated to sell.   

As an example, now and then here on the Q we see links to "blogs" (or recommendations to go to a specific blog) which at first glance appear to be merely informational...  yet if we scroll to the very bottom of the page we'll see the fine print disclosure and find that there's financial profit behind the click-bait.    One of the most ubiquitous is the "Amazon Services LLC Associates Program," a flourishing "man behind the curtain" among the so-called information-only blog sites.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Speaking of Youtube: "Royal Reviewer" Elliott, Is wonderful.

Enjoy his channel. Love everything about England and the English.

What makes his channel unique he's adorable and informative.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo  Thanks for the explanation. I'm sick of Shawn talking about Oprah's favorite things as if they are BFF's!! My apologies to @MissMaggieMoo.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

None of this bothers me, does the OP know she can pay to reduce ads?

Honored Contributor

i embrace social media for what it is......if i did not like it i would not participate.

i say this as both a personal user AND as a business user.

as a business user it is GREAT free advertising and publicity.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein