Esteemed Contributor

Re: Social Clubs, Country Clubs, etc

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Irshgrl31201

It's opposite.

Gentile commonly means 'non-Jew'.

The club was a restrictive Jewish country club...occasionally lifting that requirement for open membership.

Restrictive clubs aren't new...and still exist today.  They're not billed as 'restrictive', but they're out there.

Columbian Country Club:  Here in Dallas it was defined as Jewish membership only.  Just recently as 2000, the membership #s were dropping & eventually in 2006 they had to close down the Country Club.  It's now re-branded as a golf club where $$$$ is the barrier.

Augusta National:

1975: first year a Black man was able to play the course.  

1990: first year an Africian-American was granted club membership.

Tiger Woods first played at Augusta in 1997.  Only eight years earlier....THE Tiger Woods would've been able to play at Augusta, but if he wanted to become a member? Forget it.

Augusta and women members?   Only recently as 2012, they finally let women in. 

Exactly. The club she belongs to was originally formed to be a club for Jewish members only, most likely in response to the overwhelming number of clubs which excluded them  throughout the 20th C, that, I understood. I'm still not sure why the need to mention it in this thread.

Ok ladies, thanks for clearing that up. I thought she was mistakenly putting non in front of gentile and she just made a mistake. I didn't realize there were clubs that were exclusively for Jews. That is great considering all they want through not being allowed for so long. Thanks!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

I cannot understand those who belong to groups/s/organizations that discriminate against Jews and denigrate that religious belief.

Those who espouse their Christian religion and love for Jesus forget he was a Jew.
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Noreen wrote:

I should clarify. I would want it to be a place that welcomes everyone.

I belong to a "private" social/country club that I did not realize was open to "Gentiles." Smiley Wink  Every few years, the club has "open" memberships.  Been a member for 20+ years now.

I initially went w/a "non-Gentile" friend.  That is when I found out there were separate fees if you did not want to take advantage of all the club had to offer.

I pay a yearly fee for their "spa" package.  My yearly package fee has been drastically reduced (more than 1/2) because I am a "senior." yahoo.gif 

Package includs the use of the olympic pool, spa/massage, steam room, jacuzzi & excercise classes.

This post is so inappropriate.

Esteemed Contributor

This seems like a thread that has an anti-Semitic bent. jmo
Honored Contributor

There was nothing wrong with that post or the poster. Suppose one belonged to the VFW and discovered it was open to non-vets or the SOI and discovered it was open non-Italians and mentioned that? She in no way indicated that she was against the new open policy or against Gentiles. 

Save the outrage for something deserving of it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

How would they know if someone is really Jewish or not? Do they ask for proof from a synagogue? You can't always go by a person's last name as they could have converted.

Is this a serious inquiry?

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

No, actually it's the contrary, but I can understand your confusion. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lila Belle wrote:

@Lila Belle

I agree.

I can remember the days when country clubs routinely had rules against Jews joining.  Black people weren't even considered.  One well known club was in wealthy Marin County.

Like some other ethnic groups, Jews created country clubs for themselves.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

@Lila Belle

Like some other ethnic groups, Jews created country clubs for themselves.

I understand the historical reasoning why certain groups created institutions just for their group, but...one can't deny the irony with all this.  

As the poster upthread indicated, as early as 20 yrs ago, SHE was discriminated against for NOT being Jewish. Is that right?

And since 'gentile' means non-Jew, the 'anti-Semitic' comment is invalid & TOTALLY unwarranted...doesn't make sense.  If anything, it's 'anti-anti-semitic'...double negative, cancelling each other out.