Trusted Contributor

Re: Social Clubs, Country Clubs, etc

Where do you live? Let me search since I am familiar with the site.
Honored Contributor

@NativeJax

I found a group in NY.

I'm in Michigan.  When it comes to him, I'd be better off in Minnesota :-)

If there isn't one in the state, that's cool.  Since I joined facebook, I am connecting with like minded people, a little at a time.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Do you see that you can start a meetup group in your area? You could see if you could get some interest that way. You can start the first fan club meeting at a coffee shop or something.

I love Prince music and he had a lot of fans!
Honored Contributor

@NativeJax

Well, I work full time and will have to give it some thought.  I can't speak for every person in Michigan but around here, many lost interest after Purple Rain. Unfortunately the locals expected him to keep cranking out the same thing.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

I understand about working a lot...I hope this next job will allow me to have more work/life balance.

The Elvis fan club meets only once a month. We pay annual dues of $12.00....every month they do some kind of activity held at the moose lodge but you don't have to be a moose member.

Tonight it's an ice cream social and Elvis trivia game. The do one annual fund raiser. Last month they showed a movie and had a Hawaiian luau, month before that we brought in someone to teach line dancing. The usually have Elvis stuff for auction and proceeds go to Elvis charity. We have about 150 members but it is an older group. I am sure my sister and I are the youngest but there are many who bring their parents. It still is a way to do something fun and very little time is required. Just two maybe three hours a month.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you find one or somethings fun to do!
Honored Contributor

@NativeJax

I hope you enjoy yourself.  The fees sound reasonable and it's always fun to socialize with people who share your common interests.

My husband golfs so we are members of a country club.  He is charged a certain amount a month in the restaurant so we eat there once or twice a month. I go to social events and holiday brunches. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@Irshgrl31201

It's opposite.

Gentile commonly means 'non-Jew'.

The club was a restrictive Jewish country club...occasionally lifting that requirement for open membership.

Restrictive clubs aren't new...and still exist today.  They're not billed as 'restrictive', but they're out there.

Columbian Country Club:  Here in Dallas it was defined as Jewish membership only.  Just recently as 2000, the membership #s were dropping & eventually in 2006 they had to close down the Country Club.  It's now re-branded as a golf club where $$$$ is the barrier.

Augusta National:

1975: first year a Black man was able to play the course.  

1990: first year an Africian-American was granted club membership.

Tiger Woods first played at Augusta in 1997.  Only eight years earlier....THE Tiger Woods would've been able to play at Augusta, but if he wanted to become a member? Forget it.

Augusta and women members?   Only recently as 2012, they finally let women in. 

Exactly. The club she belongs to was originally formed to be a club for Jewish members only, most likely in response to the overwhelming number of clubs which excluded them  throughout the 20th C, that, I understood. I'm still not sure why the need to mention it in this thread.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@NativeJax I don't belong to any clubs but I say GO FOR IT! Have a great time.

Same here. Not something I am interested in but it sounds like there are lots of fun activities to do. 

Respected Contributor

I live in a land of clubs.  All based on whatever your interest is.  Husband plays golf, so the country club is automatic.  Have fun.  The rates you're quoting are very reasonable, so go for it!! 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK