Honored Contributor

Re: Social Clubs, Country Clubs, etc

@NativeJax wrote:
Update:

This was a lovely evening. Plenty of dancing, people dressed very nice, the food was good, the members very welcoming. They also had ballroom dancers from a studio dancing with guests. The outside trees, gazebo and dock were trimmed with white lights. There is a boat slip if you want use of it

They have free dance lessons on Wednesday and Thursday's. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to going next week.

Smiley HappyWoman HappyMan Happy

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@NativeJax wrote:
Mz iMac:

I am oblivious to your post. I am usually pretty quick but not sure what you are implying with the "Gentiles"?????

@NativeJax

Not implying anything!

I'm a bit puzzled as to why it was even mentioned, in response to noreen's post.

@NativeJax, I assume the reference is to clubs who, throughout the 20th C until Federal law forced them to do otherwise, were restricted to WASP membership and certain religions or races were not welcome and not permitted, so "anyone" could not join. Most country clubs and social clubs were restricted.

There may still be "private clubs" which do this, and noreen was indicating she would not want to join such a club; neither would most people, I assume.

I'm not at all sure why @Mz iMac posted what she did and is declining to elaborate.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Wow! I don't think I've ever read a post referring to "Gentiles" and "non-Gentiles."

What century are we in?

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

Wow! I don't think I've ever read a post referring to "Gentiles" and "non-Gentiles."

What century are we in?

It's Mad Men all over again.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NativeJax wrote:
Mz iMac:

I am oblivious to your post. I am usually pretty quick but not sure what you are implying with the "Gentiles"?????

I like to know too.  I'm sure I know but I think it would get poofed.  There was no need for that comment as far as I'm concerned.  Told me alot about the poster.  That comment really bothered me. 

Honored Contributor

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

@NativeJax wrote:
Mz iMac:

I like to know too.  I'm sure I know but I think it would get poofed.  There was no need for that comment as far as I'm concerned.  Told me alot about the poster.  That comment really bothered me. 

I believe I may understand the post, and if I do, it's a very odd post and I don't know why it was made if the poster doesn't explain. If she did explain people would still not feel it belonged in this thread, but they would perhaps not feel as harshly about her. There was no need to post it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

@NativeJax wrote:
Mz iMac:

I believe I may understand the post, and if I do, it's a very odd post and I don't know why it was made if the poster doesn't explain. If she did explain people would still not feel it belonged in this thread, but they would perhaps not feel as harshly about her. There was no need to post it.

@Moonchilde There sure wasn't any need to post it on this board and on this thread.  I actually turned the computer off after I read it so I wouldn't say anythng in a fit of anger.  Anyway, thanks for your post and hope you have a great rest of the weekend.  

Esteemed Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
Update:

This was a lovely evening. Plenty of dancing, people dressed very nice, the food was good, the members very welcoming. They also had ballroom dancers from a studio dancing with guests. The outside trees, gazebo and dock were trimmed with white lights. There is a boat slip if you want use of it

They have free dance lessons on Wednesday and Thursday's. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to going next week.

Wow @NativeJax, it sounds really wonderful. Love white lights at night, it creates such a beautiful ambience. The dance lessons sound amazing, I would love to do that. That also sounds like a great place to meet a nice guy!! Enjoy!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Noreen wrote:

I should clarify. I would want it to be a place that welcomes everyone.

was open to "Gentiles." Smiley Wink  Every few years, the club has "open" memberships.  Been a member for 20+ years now.

I initially went w/a "non-Gentile" friend.  That is when I found out there were separate fees if you did not want to take advantage of all the club had to offer.

I pay a yearly fee for their "spa" package.  My yearly package fee has been drastically reduced (more than 1/2) because I am a "senior." yahoo.gif 

Package includs the use of the olympic pool, spa/massage, steam room, jacuzzi & excercise classes.

@Mz iMac You didn't realize your country club wasn't open to Jewish people? Now I know that private clubs that don't claim a tax exemption are more open to discriminate unfortunately but I didn't realize there were still places who practiced that still. 

I am not really understanding your post. You said " I belong to a "private" social/country club that I did not realize was open to "Gentiles."  Did you misspeak or mis-type? Did you mean to say you did not realize that your club was open to gentiles or Jewish people? 

Not trying to attack you, I just didn't really understand your post because I think you misspoke. Maybe you could clear this up?

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Noreen wrote:

I should clarify. I would want it to be a place that welcomes everyone.

I belong to a "private" social/country club that I did not realize was open to "Gentiles." Smiley Wink  Every few years, the club has "open" memberships.  Been a member for 20+ years now.

I initially went w/a "non-Gentile" friend.  That is when I found out there were separate fees if you did not want to take advantage of all the club had to offer.

I pay a yearly fee for their "spa" package.  My yearly package fee has been drastically reduced (more than 1/2) because I am a "senior." yahoo.gif 

Package includs the use of the olympic pool, spa/massage, steam room, jacuzzi & excercise classes.

This post has absolutely no business on a public board. None.

To the OP, I'm glad you had a lovely time and are looking forward to your next visit.