Honored Contributor

Re: Social Clubs, Country Clubs, etc

I don't do clubs for own personal reasons but.... I sincerely hope you have a great time and if you love it, join : )

Trusted Contributor

Noreen:

I wouldn't want to hangout with everyone...I think they just want active members and it's not excluding people necessarily, it is a club, you can bring guests but if I want to go dancing that just welcomes everyone I could go to any night club. I like that they offer a variety of dancing, the swing, Cha Cha, square dancing, etc....cards on Wednesday (bridge)....It really seems to have a variety.
Honored Contributor

It sounds like a wonderful opportunity to meet new people and maybe make new friends!  It could be a lot of fun and the cost is reasonable so you don't have to feel like you wasted a lot of money if you decide it's not for you after joining.

It's worth a try! I would go for it!

Honored Contributor

@Noreen wrote:

I should clarify. I would want it to be a place that welcomes everyone.

I belong to a "private" social/country club that I did not realize was open to "Gentiles." Smiley Wink  Every few years, the club has "open" memberships.  Been a member for 20+ years now.

I initially went w/a "non-Gentile" friend.  That is when I found out there were separate fees if you did not want to take advantage of all the club had to offer.

I pay a yearly fee for their "spa" package.  My yearly package fee has been drastically reduced (more than 1/2) because I am a "senior." yahoo.gif 

Package includs the use of the olympic pool, spa/massage, steam room, jacuzzi & excercise classes.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

Mz iMac:

I am oblivious to your post. I am usually pretty quick but not sure what you are implying with the "Gentiles"?????
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, we belong to a couple of different ones, including  Carolina country club. My husband wanted to do this mainly because of networking and for his business it has really been worth it in that regards. I really didn't care either way but it has been really positive for him in terms of business. It is right around the corner from our house and I really love it when I don't feel like cooking. They have great food there and all the holidays they have buffets. I am not usually a buffet person but honestly it is some of the best food I have had. He brings clients there often and uses the golf course a lot for that reason and just because he likes to golf. It is nice to have birthday parties or dinners there for friends and family and his clients, we always used to do it at our house and it is nice to not have to worry about that. They do all the work. 

He does belong to several social clubs too including the Rotary Club. 

I think the club you are talking about sounds great!!! I think you are absolutely right and it will be great for professional networking but also just personal too. It introduced me to a charity group that I am now involved with that I really really love. I have met some really wonderful people but some snobs too. Thankfully they are in the minority and you meet those where ever you go. 

I think it sounds wonderful and for a great price as well. You really will meet lots of new people and I think you should definitely go for it. I am by nature a social person and I think staying involved with a variety of things like that, keeps you on the go and keeps you feeling vital. There are so many different worthwhile charities you can get involved with, with groups like these. I have met some really wonderful and generous people. I really didn't care either way when we joined but I am glad my husband decided to do it.

Good luck to you @NativeJax

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

I would learn a little more about it before wasting money to join.  For example you mentioned you "hope" there are single people close to your age.  That is one thing I would find out.  I'd also want to know how much pressure is placed on members to participate (including time and $) in charity events.   One art group near me, for example, requires that members volunteer a certain number of hours a month in various events and in their gallery.  I know that isn't a club like what you are looking at but it is something to consider.  

Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
Noreen:

I wouldn't want to hangout with everyone...I think they just want active members and it's not excluding people necessarily, it is a club, you can bring guests but if I want to go dancing that just welcomes everyone I could go to any night club. I like that they offer a variety of dancing, the swing, Cha Cha, square dancing, etc....cards on Wednesday (bridge)....It really seems to have a variety.

Ok, I see the difference. You are selected and brought in as a guest to see. It is a private club.  I dont need to "business network" so I guess I will stick to the senior center.

Honored Contributor

Gee, I'm going to go hunting around for one.  We have a couple of very, very expensive, extremely private clubs nearby (last I heard, many years ago, 30K plus per year, probably a lot more now.  I'll find out.  Anyway, a much, much less expensive CC would appeal to me.  Thanks for giving me the alert.  It would be nice to have a 'circle' of different friends to occasionally be around.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

@scitnovel:

Yes, that is a good question to ask, thanks!