Honored Contributor

Re: So you win the $560 million lottery BUT

I live in a state that publishes your name if you win the lottery.  It is considered public information because the lottery is run by the state.  In addition, your name is posted on a website where it remains for anyone to look at at anytime.

When our state first started the lottery many years ago,  a family from our church won 2 million dollars.  That was a lot of money back then.  They tried to keep it quiet and not tell anyone, but somehow, the information was out there...this was way before internet.

They were hounded by many organizations and people who knew them and not who asked them for money for various reasons.  These poor people finally got to the point that they would not leave their home.  Their son, who was a junior (same name as dad) , also started to receive  calls and had people knocking on his door. The son and his wife were my neighbors. I went to school with the son too, so,I knew them well.

Finally, the family moved somewhere else out of the state. They were forced to give up their friends, being,close to their  family and their home.  They both grew up in he same town and moved when they were in their 60’s because of the harassment.

I can understand why someone would not want anyone to know that they had won millions of dollars.  In the case of the women the OP mentioned, the lottery tells you right on the back of the ticket to sign it immediately if you win...or if you lose it or it gets stolen, you have no way to prove it is yours.

i think the women in question is trying her best to force the Lottery legally to not publish her name.  I hope she succeeds.  This would be a blessing for many people who will win in the future.

i know that If I won a huge amount, I would not want my name published either.  I do not want to have to move away from my friends and family or have to deal with security issues.

i can understand why she might feel strongly enough to forfeit the prize.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

I haven't seen this mentioned here. Suppose she is in the process of a divorce, and hates the husband so much, that the thought of giving him half makes her  sick.

@Sage04  I think I could do quite well on even a mere $280 million.   At least, I'd like to try.  

Respected Contributor

wrote:

This morning i saw her still photo from the video of the store where she purchased her ticket. I don't think she's anonymous anymore.

I saw that photo too but is that her or just a photo of someone buying a ticket in the store?

Honored Contributor

This has been covered on our local news (I'm in New England).  The woman said she doesn't want it made public because she is a well-known, lifelong member of the community (not a girl) who is involved in a lot of things and doesn't want this to change any of that or how people treat her.

I believe she just wants to continue to enjoy her life as it is and probably do more charitable works anonymously.  Not everyone wants to be famous.

One of the things I object to here, with the lotteries, is that depending on which state you live in, you have no right to privacy, if you win.  In England, with the lottery, you simply ticked a box on the ticket that said "No publicity" before you turned it in.  They had to keep your name and other personal information private - and they did!

I absolutely understand why winners of the big jackpots would be concerned about the unwanted publicity.  And this woman did exactly what the lottery commission tells you to do - immediately sign the ticket.  Only to find out it was exactly what she should not have done.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia  Sounds like she is afraid to find out who her friends really are. 

This is just me but if someone changed significantly because my bank account got bigger, I wouldn consider it a blessing not to be around them anymore.   I get that it reveals a lot of true colors around you but I personally would want to know.  

I'm kind of with the person who said if you don't want your life to possibly change, don't play.  What is that careful what you wish for adage?   Whoever offered the $2 for the ticket to take it off her hands, go for it! 

Respected Contributor

I would be afraid for myself as well as my family members. Thinking someone would try and kidnap or harm my family to get me to give them money. All money is not good money. That amount of money would be too much for me.

Trusted Contributor

I think that's why some winners of past lotteries saw a lawyer first and I think thats what I would do too to protect my identity.  People would find out anyway on the local level and probably pester you for money (not that you wouldnt be willing to help your fellow man) but I think it would never end. 

Honored Contributor

Your name should not have to be made public, I hope she wins and that requirement is removed. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Your name should not have to be made public, I hope she wins and that requirement is removed. 

@jaxs mom

it is up to individual states as to how they proceed. even if she could make an LLC privately there is a chance that her name could be revealed.

the best scenario is is if you dont want the attention then DONT play the lottery. if you DO play the lottery, make sure you know all of the consequences and responsibilities that go with winning the money. it should be that way for any contest you decide to enter.....always read the fine print and the website.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Now you can't even win the lottery without lawyers getting their cut.

Their should be a way for a citizen to win the lottery without lawyers getting their cut.