Super Contributor

Re: So you win the $560 million lottery BUT

[ Edited ]

A couple close to me won the mega lottery...this is how it works:  Some states allow anonymity and others do not.  In my friends'  case she and her husband could NOT remain anonymous. However, the Lottery administration gave them alot of ADVICE BEFORE their names were publicly announced. For example: I think they gave them names of finiancial advisors: advised them about security home & mail etc.. Also, they won the lottery 2 months before they had to come forward to the media.  Of course, my friends happily collected although the media was all over the story.  

Edited to add:  my friends' got a P.O. box and mail still flooded in with people requesting money (telling sad stories).  I advised them NOT to even read the letters.   Instead they did EXTENSIVE research and gave to "reputable" charities.  They also gave money to thier community.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66HeartHeartHeart  I'll give her a break today....maybe.  Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

She's probably fearing for her safety - which I could understand. People can track u down so easily!!!! So many lottery winners' lives turned upside down after winning. People u know and total strangers think u should share ur winnings with them. Most people don't even know how to handle lots of money - and can get easily taken advantage of. 

Honored Contributor

@kivah Yes!  I agree!  It seems simple to most people but......

That show on cable tells about some of the big (and smaller) winners.  It's amazing how many of them go deep in debt even after winning a lot of money.  

Many of them borrow on the money that's coming to them and they end up in debit!

Honored Contributor

If winning a big lottery is so fraught with danger, then a person who believes that should not buy in. I don't believe it's such a dramatic problem, but I don't buy in because I think it's a sucker's game.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

wrote:

People are saying she may have a legal issue or other reason she doesn't want to be found.......well, then why play the lottery in the first place?  She must have known the law in her state.

@2blonde

i agree!

if anyone is going to play a game, gamble, enter a contest you simply MUST know the rules before you even enter or buy a ticket.

she had options even BEFORE she signed her ticket.....and those could have been presented to her by a lawyer and a financial advisor. she could have even given the ticket away......i am sure she would have had LOTS of takers.

STOP AND THINK BEFORE YOU "DO".......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

For all the reasons above is why my DH won’t buy a ticket. I rarely buy a ticket. Does not want his life to change. 

Honored Contributor

I don't thnk the woman is in trouble with the law, I mean, the law/the state already knows who she is.

I think it's just the onslaught of people that are going to come begging.  Literally begging for money.

That's got to be frustrating, heartbreaking and even annoying.

I wouldn't handle the mail or incoming phone calls from that point on.  (I'd then be forced to pay all my bills online, which is something I don't do now....)

I'm not a gambler and playing the lottery is even a bigger gamble---trying to win something almost unattainable.

I wish her luck.  That's a TON of money and her life is going to be very different when she starts getting it.  I mean that kind of money, you can't blow through that and be broke again, like some people have done. 

She could go on for decades!

Honored Contributor

I'll change my name to hers and give her $2 for the ticket.  I'd rather stay anonymous, but I in no way would pass on the jackpot if it couldn't be.

Respected Contributor

She's a VERY SMART AND WISE LADY....I hope her top attorneys can keep it that way for many "reasons"..... People have no idea until they walk in "those shoes" the evil that lurks everywhere and I mean everywhere.... (( If the courts can use justice wisely and honestly now, they will give her what she asks.... ))

-Do Not Copy Pls-