Honored Contributor

So you think you can dance...

I think I must be very uncool because I don't like this new Stage vs. Street format.  I'm not a big fan of the street stuff and there is a lot more of it this year.

Honored Contributor

Re: So you think you can dance...

i saw most of the first hour. i am going to miss seeing ballroom (and no tap either?). i like the street dance, but it seems like it is going to take over this season. i also miss mary!!!!! i prefer a nice mix of dancers of different genres.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I saw one tap dancer tonight. He was really good!
Honored Contributor

This is my favorite competition show but I'm not liking this year's concept or the 2 new judges.  I miss Mary (and I think Nigel does too)

Street dancers are fun to watch but too many, gets tiresome.  I think it's difficult to compare a stage dancer who has trained since he/she was a child to a street dancer who relies on moves/stunts and positions no BODY should be able to be in.

I tend to not watch many of the auditions and I look forward to seeing how things play out once the top 20 are chosen.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since last night's episode was the fourth and final "audition" episode, I have had my fill of the street dancers. 

I'm not pleased with the new format of the show with the hip-hopping, break dancing, krumping, animation, locking, popping, roboting, and on and on ad nauseum, seemingly taking over the show.

To me, dance is beautiful, lyrical, and plays on one's emotions.  It tells a story with both fluid and dramatic movement.  I can't see any of that from the street dancers.  I just see lots of "tricks."

I believe the new format may possibly be based on pre-production problems in not finding enough stage dancers [and too many street dancers] to cast the new season.  As a result, the show required modifications from its usual style.

This is just my opinion, but I've watched every season from beginning to end, and I feel that maybe the show is coming to an end and this might be the final season.  It was especially telling [to me] that the SYTYCD producers did not renew Mary Murphy's contract.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am not keen on this set up either! However, I am for the stage dancers more than street. (Although I love Twitch!).

I am glad to see tap dancing coming back the past years. (I took tap and other dance lessons when I was young). And I used to dance a lot (for fun not professionally) until  my spine injury, etc.

So I love to watch this show!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

I love all forms of dance if they're well done.

I do think that having a classical training backround helps all dancers, no matter what their chosen specialty is.

I miss Mary a lot, she was a really great judge, but I'm warming up to Jason.  He speaks to the dancers in dancer terms, raising him above the level of "just" street dance.  He knows his stuff.