Trusted Contributor

Re: So who besides me dresses up to answer the door on Halloween?

I do not dress up, but I do give out treats. Some years I have five kids and 1 or 2 dogs. Smiley Happy. Last year I had about 100 folks at the door although some were teens who did not wear costumes and did not even bother to paint their faces. Anyway, because of the predicted bad weather, my area has moved trick or treating to Friday night. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sadly, I don't even answer the door anymore.  A few years ago I had someone come to my door that looked to maybe be about the size of a heavy set middle schooler in the costume of an old beggar woman and was wearing one of those rubber masks with the face of an old woman with the wear of the world on her face.  She stood back a few steps when I opened the door.  She was alone and mumbled something I could not hear through the mask.  She did not step forward to come for her candy and I though she was shy, reinforced by the fact she was an older child trick or treating alone.  I felt sad for her so I stepped outside to offer her the bowl of candy and told her she could help herself.  She did not reach for it but did mumble something I could not hear/understand.  I told her I was having a hard time hearing her but she should feel free to help herself to some candy.  With that....she grabbed my wrist and yelled "I want money!  Give me your money!!!!" She held my wrist tightly and did not let go.  DH was not home and in one instant I realized how stupid I was to be alone, opening the door to disguised strangers, in the dark of night.  What on earth was I thinking to make myself so vulnerable???? 

My heart was racing and in that moment I realized I was one of those people who simply freeze in fear when totally scared.  I could think, but I just could not move.  It seemed like we were there forever with her tightly gripping my arm demanding my money.  Finally, she let go of me, pulled off the mask and introduced herself as a new neighbor from a block away - a grown adult woman.  She said she always loved Halloween and could not resist scaring the grown-ups in the neighborhood.  From that point on I have never opened the door on Halloween again.   I do put out candy with a Happy Halloween sign, I turn the light on outside so the kids can see it, but I never answer the door.  The kids are respectful - they never ring the bell and never take all the candy.  It is sad, because I always enjoyed the kids in their creative costumes.  But that night changed me. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

Before I moved to an apartment, I would distribute treats on Halloween. But I got tired of so many ADULTS (without children) showing up, so I didn't turn my porch lights on anymore.

Honored Contributor

Yes!  I've dressed up and gone trick or treating with my grandchildren.  And handed candy out at their homes with a costume on.

This year, I may just dress up as a black kitty cat and sit on our front steps and hand out candy with DH.  

Trick or treating has been postponed till Friday because of rain/thunderstorms.

Esteemed Contributor

For several years DH would put on painters overalls, a stocking over his head and a chainsaw.  We used to get over a hundred kids and he had to repeat the costume because it went over so well.

Honored Contributor

Well.......since I'm usually dressed in black, have almost black hair with white streaks down the front, have very pale skin, wear red lipstick and blackish red nails 99.9% of the time....the only thing I do is add a very funky and huge witches hat to my daily outfit. Smiley Tongue

DH and sons who don't trick or treat do fabulous makeup which changes as the evening wears on: amazing but not too scary as the little ones come to the door, then it ramps up to scary (but in every day clothes) and by the time it's winding down, full gruesome makeup and costume (the boys head out to parties around 9-something). DH does an amazing skull look on his face and wears a big straw hat and a smiley shirt that makes him seem comical and yet....not, lol.

People often ask to take a picture of the 3 of them together. It's fun!

Respected Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

Sadly, I don't even answer the door anymore.  A few years ago I had someone come to my door that looked to maybe be about the size of a heavy set middle schooler in the costume of an old beggar woman and was wearing one of those rubber masks with the face of an old woman with the wear of the world on her face.  She stood back a few steps when I opened the door.  She was alone and mumbled something I could not hear through the mask.  She did not step forward to come for her candy and I though she was shy, reinforced by the fact she was an older child trick or treating alone.  I felt sad for her so I stepped outside to offer her the bowl of candy and told her she could help herself.  She did not reach for it but did mumble something I could not hear/understand.  I told her I was having a hard time hearing her but she should feel free to help herself to some candy.  With that....she grabbed by wrist and yelled "Give me your money!!!!" She held my wrist tightly and did not let go.  DH was not home and in one instant I realized how stupid I was to be alone, opening the door to disguised strangers, in the dark of night.  What on earth was I thinking to make myself so vulnerable???? 

My heart was racing and in that moment I realized I was one of those people who simply freeze in fear when totally scared.  I could think, but I just could not move.  It seemed like we were there forever with her tightly gripping my arm demanding my money.  Finally, she let go of me, pulled off the mask and introduced herself as a new neighbor from a block away - a grown adult woman.  She said she always loved Halloween and could not resist scaring the grown-ups in the neighborhood.  From that point on I have never opened the door on Halloween again.   I do put out candy with a Happy Halloween sign, I turn the light on outside so the kids can see it, but I never answer the door.  The kids are respectful - they never ring the bell and never take all the candy.  It is sad, because I always enjoyed the kids in their creative costumes.  But that night changed me. 

I'm so sorry that happened to you.   That woman was an idiot.    How in the world could anyone think that was funny.   

Honored Contributor

I just take off my makeup. That’s enough to scare the kids.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't dress up to answer trick or treaters. My husband used to but not for many years. PS tonight we had 125 trick or treaters (as we have 2 nights of trick or treating here). So that's just the first night. Have a half big bowl of candy left and we bought tons. Halloween night if we run out we have to outten the lights. I feel bad and hate to turn out the lights, so I hope it rains, because they're calling for pouring rain here. So I think most came tonight! Loved greeting the trick or treaters tonight though! 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

I did that one year back in the late 1970s ... we had bought our first house that summer - new construction - everyone was new there!

I dressed up as a witch and had spooky music to play when I answered the door.

Most other years - we went to a friend's house - they had party almost every year.