Respected Contributor

Re: So, who DID go shopping on Black Friday?

@gidgetgh, as a life-time eyeglass wearer, I want to ask about your purchasing eye glass frames.  Do you get the lenses later from the same place?  I've never brought it frames I purchased prior.  TIA.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Did some shopping, but not at a mall.  Shopped at Uggs site and Amazon.  Don't think I will go to the mall.  I spent a cozy day at home, shopping. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Trinity11- I'm so glad you're feeling better and had such a great day!

Thanks so much, Gidget. I know you have your own health challenges and I was really happy to read that you were able to do some shopping today too.

@Trinity11-  made it through yesterday and today, but it's started to catch up with me in the last hour or so. The exhaustion has set back in. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

@gidgetgh, as a life-time eyeglass wearer, I want to ask about your purchasing eye glass frames.  Do you get the lenses later from the same place?  I've never brought it frames I purchased prior.  TIA.

@Peaches McPhee- I've done it the last few times now. My prescription is very strong so I always let my eye doctor handle the lenses. My sister recently got new glasses, at Lens Crafter and I love them, so I stopped in their store while we were out today and bought the same frames. My eye doctor appt is in a few weeks so I'll just take the frames to them and ask them to use them.  Last time, a sales associate at Talbots was wearing a pair I liked so she gave me the info on them and told me where she bought them and I went and bought them and took them to my eye doctor.  No problem at all. 

I keep two two pairs of glasses with the current prescription or one with the next to current prescription so I'll just make sure to wear those when I'm with my sister so it won't look goofy that we're in the same glasses!

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Trinity11- I'm so glad you're feeling better and had such a great day!

Thanks so much, Gidget. I know you have your own health challenges and I was really happy to read that you were able to do some shopping today too.

@Trinity11-  made it through yesterday and today, but it's started to catch up with me in the last hour or so. The exhaustion has set back in. 

Sorry to hear.... I have noticed that sometimes if I do a lot in one day, the next day I kind of pay for it.

Rest tonight and feel better for the weekend....

Esteemed Contributor

We did go to Costco late this morning to pick up the Dyson Animal that was on a very good sale.  Not many people there and, much to my disappointment and several other shoppers, there were no food samples. 

I am not a mall shopper anyway, and the only thing that I have left to do is get several gift cards.  I did stop in at my personal trainer's favorite massage spa and got her a gift certificate.  Not much business there today, either.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

We were standing in line at 6:00 for PetSmart to open at 7:00. We bought cat litter and food. Believe it or not, PetSmart was probably the craziest store we were in all morning. Every place else was fairly quiet, even our local mall.

We stay out of Kohl's and BonTon on Black Friday morning. They do not have their act together when it comes to checking out and we've learned to stay away. There's nothing in those stores worth waiting in line that long.

We were home by 12:00, had some lunch and DH watched some football. Went back out around 4:00 and just got back home again.

Bought a few things.....for ourselves. Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I stopped at to exchange an Anastasia brow product. More an errand than shopping.

Got in & out in less than 5 minutes and didn't buy anything else. 

Respected Contributor

It's been years since I've shopped the day after Thanksgiving, but I was at the Galleria Mall in Ft Lauderdale today.  My niece and her boyfriend of about 3 years, whom I have never met, were in FLL vacationing (right next door to this mall) for the weekend, and we had a long and happy lunch at PF Chang's. 

Since I was afraid the parking lots might be full if I waited til 1:30 (lunch was at 2PM), I arrived around 11 and got one of the last parking spots left, just at the edge of the outer parking lot.  I shopped for a few hours.  I bought them a gift, and then two oven-mitts on sale for half price at Williams-Sonoma (my old ones have been washed too often and now conduct heat rather than repelling it).  And I got a Dior Addict lipstick at Sephora. 

The mall was festive but not overcrowded, and It was really fun to be there.

I looked around for possible gifts for my grown-up nephew.  I thought the clothes on-sale were not that nice, but the full-priced shirts and sweaters were too costly.  (This was at Neiman-Marcus.)  I'll find him something good online.

Respected Contributor

I didn't do any "Black Friday" shopping but I had to be somewhere at 3:00 so I stopped at Soft Surroundings to try on a cute top I saw online.  They were out of it so while they checked in the back , I walked around and ended up at their sale rack.

I bought a cute colorful jacket, perfect for fall and spring, that was marked down from 109.00 to 29.99.   I figured for $30.00 it was the transitional light weight jacket I've been looking for.