Respected Contributor

Re: So the NYT Now Owns and Runs Wordle!

I too play many word games and crossword puzzles. 

For the life of me I don't understand Wordle. Could someone explain it to me?

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hennypenny wrote:

I too play many word games and crossword puzzles. 

For the life of me I don't understand Wordle. Could someone explain it to me?

You have 6 chances to guess the 5 letter daily word (using American spelling).

With each guess you make, the tiles will change colors to let you know if you have guessed any of the letters correctly. If the tile turns yellow, that letter is in the word, but not in that position. If the tile turns green, that letter is in the word and is in that exact same position, gray means that letter is not in the word.

There is one daily word for everyone and the game changes once per day. Letters can be repeated in the word. 

Make use of the keyboard on the bottom of the screen to see what letters you already guessed. 

Example, you guess any starting word you'd like - try AUDIO, and the A turns yellow, the U is gray, the D, I, O each turns green. Your (very lucky) guess shows you that the daily word ends in DIO, and the A is correct, but not in the first letter position. You only have one other place that A could be (it must be the second letter of the daily word) and now you need to guess what letter makes a word ending in ADIO. 

(RADIO)

Respected Contributor

@moto  Thank you so much!

I have seen ads for the game, but it goes so quickly that I couldn't figure it out.

Looks like a fun quickie.

I didn't know anyone who plays to ask, so thanks again for taking the time to explain it.

Esteemed Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@PilatesLover wrote:

Am I the only one in the world who doesn't like Wordle?  I've t ried several times and it frustrates me to now end.  Usually Iike word puzzles, I do the NY Times crossword in ink.

Same here.  I looked at that Tues. morning this week after hearing about it for the first time and just shook my head and moved on.  I love a good word search or crossword but I do not care for this game at all.

@beckyb1012 @PilatesLover 

I'm your direct opposite lol.  I don't like crossword puzzles or any other word games I've come across, but I love Wordle.  It's challenging, but not too hard.  And it doesn't take up too much time.  Aside from that, I think that crossword puzzles draw on different linguistic skills than Wordle, and we may be better at one set of skills than another.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett