Esteemed Contributor

Re: So silly-call ahead seating vs a reservation

There are a few restaurants that do that here as well. I've just given up on going to any of them for dinner because my dh will absolutely NOT wait to be seated. Ever. Occasionally, I go to one for lunch with my lunch bunch gang of girls. It's more fun, anyway. LOL 

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Valued Contributor

I love reservations. We won't stand in line like cattle at a trough waiting for a table.

Honored Contributor

A few years ago we had reservations for a Thanksgiving dinner at 6 Pm . When we got there sure enough we were seated immediately then we were informed they had run out of food so all that was available for our Thanksgiving dinner was chicken sandwich or hamburgers.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We occasionally go to Houlihan's, a chain restaurant we enjoy, with another couple.

If we want to be seated around 6:30, we call at 5:30, which means we are just leaving our house. I once tried to call ahead in the early afternoon for a 6:30 "call ahead" (trying to beat the system), and was asked if we were driving in from another state. She said that call-ahead means you call as you are leaving the house. Otherwise, as was stated here earlier, it's a reservation, which they do not take.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

I like when restaurants use 'open table' for their reservations.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

A few years ago we had reservations for a Thanksgiving dinner at 6 Pm . When we got there sure enough we were seated immediately then we were informed they had run out of food so all that was available for our Thanksgiving dinner was chicken sandwich or hamburgers.

ROFL

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I like when restaurants use 'open table' for their reservations.

i like it also.....it is nice to earn points for eating out. there is also another good app for those restaurants that dont take reservations and it is called "NO WAIT."

we have restaurants around here that have reservations, no reservations, and call ahead seating. most of the chain restaurants have the call ahead. someone above mentioned that she uses call ahead at 11am for a reservation later that evening. we have never been able to do that. you cannot "call ahead" that far in advance around here.......here it is more like an hour or so before you are to arrive.....then you can put your name on the list.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I called a local restaurant that is part of a chain to see if they took reservations and was told they did not have reservations but had call ahead seating.  SO I am now in their system for call ahead seating at 6:30 Christmas Eve for 4 people.   IF it talks like a duck and walks like a duck isn't it a duck?

This is what a very popular restaurant has here and why I hate going b/c you never know if you still can get in. Also, there is no place to wait (outside when it over 100 degrees.)

Why not have reservations and just be done w/it?

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

You will probably still have to wait for you table.

It just means you will get seated before a person that walked in before you but didn't call ahead for their table.

That's right.  In my area, we've had call-ahead seating for a long time, 10 years at least. 

And it's not the same as a reservation.  I find it very helpful, and not "silly" at all.

Esteemed Contributor

Almost all the chains where we live have a no reservation policy and some do the call ahead which is a little different. 

Even the private restaurants are starting to end the reservations. In my town to go out on a Friday or Saturday, is almost always a 1-2 hour wait at any decent restaurant. I hate it!!!

I have to say though after years of being a server/bartender I do understand why many restaurants are doing away with that. I can't tell you how many times people just don't show. Not even a phone call. That causes real problems on busy nights. 

We have our favorite restaurants that we frequent and while some do have no reservations policies, they will accept them from regulars.  Some even allow them with a credit card for a deposit and will charge a fee for a missed res.

Nothing more disappointing that having an 8 top or larger on the books and they are a no call no show, that starts a domino effect on a server that is hard to get out of and can greatly reduce tips for the night.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK