Esteemed Contributor

So silly-call ahead seating vs a reservation

[ Edited ]

I called a local restaurant that is part of a chain to see if they took reservations and was told they did not have reservations but had call ahead seating.  SO I am now in their system for call ahead seating at 6:30 Christmas Eve for 4 people.   IF it talks like a duck and walks like a duck isn't it a duck?

Honored Contributor

Re: So silly-call ahead seating vs a reservation

It is "preferred seating"......not guaranteed........That means you will get a table ahead of a person who just walks in the door.    It's been that way in Phoenix for a couple years now, too.  

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

It is "preferred seating"......not guaranteed........That means you will get a table ahead of a person who just walks in the door.    It's been that way in Phoenix for a couple years now, too.  

This is what they do in my area also.....you can still wait awhile for a table...

Honored Contributor

You will probably still have to wait for you table.

It just means you will get seated before a person that walked in before you but didn't call ahead for their table.

Esteemed Contributor

We also have reservations for certain seats in movie houses here. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

I prefer Reservations- which means the table is reserved for us, we walk in and can be seated.

Call ahead is a ******-shoot- our last call ahead gained us the privledge of being able to wait 60 mins vs 90 mins (we left).  

Honored Contributor

I don't think call ahead is the same as a reservation, but it does put your party ahead of walk-ins.

The alternative seems to be that busy restaurants just don't take reservations for small parties.  Sure, I'd prefer a full reservation, but I also understand busy establishments using their limited space as effriciently as possible.  There's barely a week that I don't see the demise of one or more area restaurants -  and I live in SE Florida where it seems sometimes as if the whole world eats out several times every week!

Respected Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I called a local restaurant that is part of a chain to see if they took reservations and was told they did not have reservations but had call ahead seating.  SO I am now in their system for call ahead seating at 6:30 Christmas Eve for 4 people.   IF it talks like a duck and walks like a duck isn't it a duck?

LOL.  Yeah, that's silly.  In our area, the places that do call-ahead seating will only let you call the same day.  But still, if I'm calling when you open at 11 and requesting a table at 6, that sounds like a reservation to me.  The other posters are right, though, the name is changed so that the patron understands their expectation should be different from a reservation. I think it's obnoxious.

Honored Contributor

We wait till the holidays are over altogether. New Years too.

Mid Jan. everybody and their kids will be back in school and work.

Respected Contributor

It's not really a reservation because there isn't a table waiting for you when you arrive.  You still have to wait for a table to open up...