Honored Contributor

Re: So sick of fraudulent charges on my visa credit card.....

@chiclet

Do you use this card at gas stations?  There have been many reports where I live of fraudsters inserting "skimmers" to capture credit card numbers.......

I have one credit card with a very low limit that I use stictly for shopping .....

I only do a couple of bills on auto pay-medical insurance and dental insurance which is mandatory by my employer.....  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafterwrote:

I woudn't wait for the charge to show up on your statement to call them.

That's the whole point of the alerts.

I have ours set at the lowest amount allowable, I think it's $5 on Visa and $10 on AmEx for any time the card is used.

I don't autopay anything.

I have alerts set up too, and yes - the whole point is to be notified right away so you can immediately take action.

I know within seconds if a charge was made online or by phone, at a gas station, or for more than whatever amount I choose.  Very often, after I pay with my credit card at a store, the alert has already come in on my phone even before I walk away from the checkout.

I rely on these alerts to help me keep a close eye, and they have been 100% reliable.  If an unknown charge turned up, I would call my credit card company immediately.

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurtwrote:

@chiclet

Do you use this card at gas stations?  There have been many reports where I live of fraudsters inserting "skimmers" to capture credit card numbers.......

I have one credit card with a very low limit that I use stictly for shopping .....

I only do a couple of bills on auto pay-medical insurance and dental insurance which is mandatory by my employer.....  

@Spurtwrote:

@chiclet

Yes, gas stations are notorious for being problematic.  My credit card company has a separate alert, specifically for gas stations.  I always pay for gas with cash, and have been doing so for a few years.

Honored Contributor

For it to happen four times, one of the companies you frequent is not secure.  I'm fearful of something like that happening and having to cleanup the mess.  I limit my risk by paying cash/check where possible.  I also am setup to get texts when I charge.  

Respected Contributor

That’s why I refuse to use auto pay. I don’t need the aggravation.

Respected Contributor

I agree with a PP-  Paypal is the WORST when it comes to fraud activity and they are very difficult to deal with when there is a problem.  

I have to say once I stopped paying bills online and auto-pay my problems dropped by 99%.

I am now back to paper checks!!  I had to order more checkbooks!!!  For me writing checks is so much easier than dealing with the fraud/new credit card cycle.

Valued Contributor

That happened to me until I finally told the credit card company that I didn't want a new card.  I went with a totally different credit card company.  

Honored Contributor

@chicletwrote:

I have alerts set to let me know every time a charge over 25.00 goes on my credit card.  I got one last night for 76.00 from Fedex.  I am waiting for the charge to show on my card to call them back.  I hate having to close my card again (4 times already) and then have to call the companies that automatically charge my card like internet, tv, etc. and give them new card plus being without it for about 10 days till I get a new one.  Life is so complicated.  I almost wish I could just close all cards and just use cash and checks.  

@chiclet  This just happened to me this week when I received my statement and noticed one charge of over $400, so had to cancel the card, and this card, which I hardly use, has had to be cancelled so many times, it's unbelievable.