Esteemed Contributor

Re: So now vehicles are on list to clean!

@september wrote:

I like a clean car, but I think the cleaning obsession is now going way overboard!

I think in general many are going overboard with "disinfecting", killing both good/necessary/desirable bacteria along with the bad bacteria and at best maybe getting some viruses along the way if we are using the correct anti-viral cleaners in the proper manner. 

Ultimately many will get sick from "everyday" germs because we will have killed the "helper" bacteria and have no resistance to the "bad" bacteria we encounter on a daily basis.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I’m not sure of the source of this info? Pretty sure it’s not from CDC from the way it’s written. Sounds like someone’s unofficial interpretation.

I think contact transmission is more a risk in close contact situations, high traffic volume, healthcare workers, family living with someone who is positive.
Super Contributor

If this keeps up, we won't be immune to anything.  Again insanity!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is no way I'm doing any of that.   I don't even wipe down the steering wheel and door handles.

I also don't wash my groceries (other than fruits and vegetables and wiping off can tops).  I disinfect the countertop if I've put newly purchased groceries or mail on them.  

I don't go in the store...I do pickup....so I don't wear gloves.  I do wear a mask.

I wash my hands with antibacterial soap many times a day. 

Some of this stuff is just way too overboard for me.  If I was immune compromised or had someone in my household who was I would be much stricter....but it's just me, so I think I'm doing fine.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Next will be "tenting" your house for fumigation (like for termites)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Do the brain trusts at the CDC, who clearly haven't been able to do much to "C" this "D" also advise us where we're supposed to get the wipes, disinfectants, cleaners, hand cleansers, various types of cleaning cloths suggested, and so on, because we're sure not finding them in stores... And, did they also explain how we're supposed to find a 'friendly mechanic' to help us clean our car when virtually everything is closed and we're not really supposed to be going out so much anyway... 

Yeah, what she said!!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Valued Contributor

If we are using our cars no more than once a week,  why should we have to go to this extreme? I am actually making myself sick with inhalation of all the disinfectants, chemicals and bleach now.

Esteemed Contributor

I wipe my car down when I come in from store. I go out every two weeks. Personally I think some of these article just feed anxiety. I can't keep up with all of this. 😷

Esteemed Contributor

I.  Just.  Can't.   Gonna die here 😂

Trusted Contributor

That's a bit excessive.  Since I'm the only one driving my car all I've been doing is wiping down the commonly touched hard surfaces like steering wheel, shift, signals.  Since I only drive to the supermarket now I wipe down at the end of the trip.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.