Honored Contributor
I didn’t read anywhere that they were closing all their stores. My guess is that they will keep the main store in downtown Dallas and close or consolidate some others. I know they rely on older, walk-in customers who pick out and try on clothing. The demographic that built the brand probably don’t use computers. My dd told me JCrew is almost all online now...that is the demo they target. The maternity place surprised me. Dd has not been able to find maternity clothes anywhere but old navy and target. Pea in the Pod is the only actual maternity store we have here...and it is over her budget and seems to cater to working women.
Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

They are remodeling two malls in the city where I live.  Both are going to be mixed use malls but I still wonder if they will have enough business to support both of them.  

So far I am not too impressed by the Totem Lake one.  I am absolutely gobsmacked by all of the “luxury” apartment buildings going up everywhere.  

Respected Contributor

I once worked in a mid-upper level department store. It was located in a small mall.  Most days there were 3 people working in misses sports wear and the same in juniors.  Every department was well staffed.  

My neighbor went shopping in a similar store on Saturday afternoon. There was 1 person working and my neighbor had to walk all over the store to find an employee.  No wonder stores are closing!  

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

I saw a list of stores/companies that will be closing in the next year. When I saw the names, I recognized many of them as having been on a similar list more than once. I think some of these poorly-managed companies take on more debt to try and prop up the business to no avail.  Have any of these closed where you live?I did not recognize some of them so they may be regional. Many of these I think were in malls and have little, if any, online presence.

BonTon                                     J Crew 

Davids Bridal.                            GNC

Destination Maternity.               99 cents only

Dillards.                                     Cinnabon

Charlotte Russe.                       Vitamin Shoppe

Claires.                                      Tops 

Cole Haan                                  Pier One Imports

Bebe.                                         Kohl’s

Neiman Marcus.                        Steak and Shake

@lovesrecess  Post your source please.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Retail is brutally Darwinian. Only the best stores survive and others will see what they're doing, copy it, and steal their business. If you look at Amazon, what they're doing now is largely what Sears did many years ago with their catalogs. Amazon does it over the Internet instead of through catalogs, but the distribution facilities and breadth of products offered is very similar.

People really value convenience these days. I've long thought that a major hotel chain could make a fortune by adding a one stop wedding business to the chain. Have a location where the bridal party can get literally everything from the gown, flowers, catering, entertainment, all provided by one single source and even specially created sets for the wedding recreating a small church, an outdoor garden type setting, and more. The hotel would essentially do everything from providing accomodations for out of town guests to all of the wedding details. The bride just picks what she wants and the hotel does the work. All kinds of price points could be created and it could drive a lot of business. Buying a complete wedding package with gown, food, flowers, photography/video, lodging all at one place for a set price would be much more conveninet for modern couples. Heck, throw in a honeymoon suite while they're at it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

HSN and QVC..I was afraid to shop this way for a long time. Once I started I would never go back to the other way of shopping

Take your measurements and find your size. Next check out the garment measurements for your size. You will want a few inches bigger than your measurements,  so the garment isn't skin tight

Both Q and H give garment sizes @50Mickey 

@cherry  i have to feel the fabric, see it in person and see how the dress, or pants look on me.  The model may be wearing the same size as I would but we might be proportioned differently. Forget shoes I wear different sizes in different shoes. I see so many on these boards complaining about the cost of return shipping and I don't want the hassle of ordering, waiting and then deciding that I don't like the way something looks on me. Then having to start over. But that's just me.  The last time I ordered a dress from QVC was probably 7 years ago. I returned it because it looked like a black bathrobe on me.  Oh well I am retired now so good thing that I don't need a lot of clothes. 

Valued Contributor

Re: So many store closing

[ Edited ]

I always shopped at the Fresh Market and Trader Joe's when I lived in Charlotte. Now I live waaaay out in the country and it's a minimum of a 45 minute drive to get there.  I still go back to buy some of the meats at the Fresh Market.

It was originally family owned and then sold to a corporation a few years ago. They discontinued some of my favorite salads and breads. The last time I was there with a meat order (8 packages of chicken breast and 6 of Italian sausage) the clerk complained and suggested I phone my order in ahead of time the next time. Was sort of stunned - I thought "gee, I'm the customer here"  - esp after he told me he'd had bigger orders. 

Respected Contributor

I just saw in yesterday's paper that our local Sears appliance/tool store will be closing soon. The bigger Sears store closed a few years ago. I guess it got squeezed out by the Lowe's and Home Depot. 

Honored Contributor
Some of the stores seem to have already closed in some areas but are still open on others, rarely do they shut all of them down on the same day.
Honored Contributor
Some will file for chapter 11 which offers them some protection from bankruptcy for a while but if the fill chapter 11 that seems to be the beginning of the end in most cases...or another buyer will take them.