Honored Contributor

So many stores closing

[ Edited ]

I saw a list of stores/companies that will be closing in the next year. When I saw the names, I recognized many of them as having been on a similar list more than once. I think some of these poorly-managed companies take on more debt to try and prop up the business to no avail.  Have any of these closed where you live?I did not recognize some of them so they may be regional. Many of these I think were in malls and have little, if any, online presence.

BonTon                                     J Crew 

Davids Bridal.                            GNC

Destination Maternity.               99 cents only

Dillards.                                     Cinnabon

Charlotte Russe.                       Vitamin Shoppe

Claires.                                      Tops 

Cole Haan                                  Pier One Imports

Bebe.                                         Kohl’s

Neiman Marcus.                        Steak and Shake

Dress Barn

Valued Contributor

Where did you see that list?  It seems most of those stores have already closed down or are cutting back on the number of stores, which has been going on for a while.

Speaking of closing down, today I attended a sporting event for one of the grandkids and decided to stop and pick up lunch at the local Steak N Shake.  Discovered it was closed.

The dumpster blocking the drive thru lane was my first clue. It must have just happened because I was there a couple of weeks ago.

Honored Contributor

I suspect the list is speculative, rather than announced closures.

Valued Contributor

Perhaps some of these companies are closing certain locations of stores, but the companies themselves are not folding?

Respected Contributor
We have stores closing all the time where I live. I shop at TJ Max a lot. We don't have many options here. It stinks where I live.
Respected Contributor

Many of these stores are in trouble, but not yet closing

Respected Contributor

In my area, the JCrew recently closed and Cinnabon, David’s Bridal and Vitamin Shoppe all closed quite a while ago.  Younkers was an anchor store in our mall and it closed last year. Our mall has become a shell of a traditional shopping mall. 

Honored Contributor

Re: So many store closing

[ Edited ]

@DearPrudence wrote:

Where did you see that list?  It seems most of those stores have already closed down or are cutting back on the number of stores, which has been going on for a while.

Speaking of closing down, today I attended a sporting event for one of the grandkids and decided to stop and pick up lunch at the local Steak N Shake.  Discovered it was closed.

The dumpster blocking the drive thru lane was my first clue. It must have just happened because I was there a couple of weeks ago.

Was the Steak N Shake in Warminster, PA?

They built a new Steak N Shake on Street Road. It was open one day and there was a fire. It has been closed ever since. We are guessing that there is a problem between the contractor, owner and insurance.

PS - That is interesting. David's Bridal just redid the store near my house. Completely remodeled the store. And a new Vitamin Shoppe opened across the street from David's Bridal.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Please merciful God not Dillards !!!!!!!!!!!

My Discover credit card doesn't offer their gift cards any more

wahhhhhhhh  Only poopy Kohl's, Penny's, Bed and Bath would interest me out of their gift card list.

Penny's looks like a glorified Goodwill now. Kohl's stuff you may occasionally find something you would wear. Good kitchen items, though.

Carry Playtex bras in the biggie size. Don't buy any jewelry there all junk.

Honored Contributor

Some retailers close poorly performing stores all the time and may build new ones elsewhere.  Walmart does it every year.  Last year Subway closed 800 stores, but had too many to begin with.  There are three within 4 miles of my house.  Closing stores doesn't mean they are in financial trouble.  It's smart business practice.

Some on the list are definitely in trouble, though.  

BonTon and Davids declared bankruptcy and closed the stores in my area. 

Neiman Marcus is reported to file bankruptcy by 2020.  

Lord & Taylor, not on the list, is also in trouble.  

Online shopping is the main problem for brick and mortar stores. 

Amazon a huge problem causing some retailers to go out of business.  Walmart, much larger, and Amazon are fighting it out.  Other retailers can't match their pricing.