Honored Contributor

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

Lila Belle, how does warm water increase the attacks?

JJM, good toons!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I think its due to the bait too. Or we are destroying our oceans with junk thus they are coming closer to shore to feed. At any rate it IS their home not ours.

As a person who lived at the beach Summers for years and years when I was younger, I can tell you I would think twice about going in the ocean now to swim. I was never afraid, I always thought I was safe in shallow type water. Not any more.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

I think its due to the bait too. Or we are destroying our oceans with junk thus they are coming closer to shore to feed. At any rate it IS their home not ours.

As a person who lived at the beach Summers for years and years when I was younger, I can tell you I would think twice about going in the ocean now to swim. I was never afraid, I always thought I was safe in shallow type water. Not any more.

ITA - People are telling me I'm overreacting, but we have to be aware of what's happening. They're biting, and they're probably not going to stay in one spot, but will follow the jet stream.  When I was younger I used to spend hours out riding the waves. Sometimes I'd be the only one out that far. My kids are the same way. 

I was brought up to know not to go in the water when it's dawn or dusk, and my family would NEVER go in without a lifeguard on duty. My own family now follows those rules too! 

I love everything about the beach and someday hope to live there all of the time. But I think the time has come to stay closer to shore, like with water up to my ankles! 

Respected Contributor

Valued Contributor

Now, that's funny!

Honored Contributor
That is so cute. I love it. As for the sharks....we always get the most press coverage during Shark Week. It is also summer, when the water is full of bathers. Sharks have not changed. Someone needs to make a WHERE THE SHARKS ARE app. Take aerial photos from US beaches. Users can check what's doing in the water near them.
Super Contributor

I agree w the fact that the warmer water temperatures along the coast attracts seals, which attract sharks.

The sharks don't attack really....they sense a foreign object (us) in their territory and think it could be Food.

They then take a taste and realize humans don't taste particularly good...and they move on.  

The ocean is THEIR home, we are the intruders, they have a right to defend their families also...

Esteemed Contributor

I cannot remember the last time (if ever) there were 6+ attacks off the Carolina coast in this short of a period of time.  These people were only in waist deep water.  I wonder if it is the same one or two sharks?   It is very scary.

Honored Contributor

@fitnessfreak wrote:

I agree w the fact that the warmer water temperatures along the coast attracts seals, which attract sharks.

The sharks don't attack really....they sense a foreign object (us) in their territory and think it could be Food.

They then take a taste and realize humans don't taste particularly good...and they move on.  

The ocean is THEIR home, we are the intruders, they have a right to defend their families also...

I agree! 

Smiley shark.gif

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.