Honored Contributor

@Smoky

I'm with you, I also think everyone needs to know cursive.  In my experience, people who don't write nicely don't print nicely, either, lol.  

A good friend of mine does calligraphy.  One tiny mistake along the way and it's all over.  I feel that way when I write cards, that I have to be so careful.  I could never do what you do, you are an artist Smiley Happy

on.  I'm still of the old school that everyone needs to be able to write cursive.  To me it's faster and neater.  

@Noel7, thanks but I'm certainly no artist, heck I can't even draw a stick person, lol ...  I was blessed with pretty hand writing but couldn't catch on to calligraphy.  I'd just make sure I was able to put the flow into my cursive by making sure I was sitting high enough to see if my lines were straight.  Sounds strange but it was very relaxing for me.  

I agree about everyone needing to know cursive.  I can still remember in 3rd grade when we started learing cursive and really tried.  It's definitely an art and sure shows your personality..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

DesertDi: Most of my work-life, I was a stenographer (from the late 1950's to 1999. The kind where my bosses would dictate letters and memos to me at their desks --- and I would go back to my desk and type it out on a typewriter (manual or electric). I also did filing, answered the phone for my bosses (light phone calls). I always sat in an open area with several other people (most of the bosses had their individual offices) --- and we actually had conversations with each other. We didn't get put in a cubicle!!!!!! We had 2 fifteen-minute breaks a day - one in the morning and one in the afternoon. We also had a one-hour lunch, where I would go to a local restaurant with one of my co-workers or, on occasion, eat my lunch in the office's lunchroom -- where they provided coffee/tea.

Years ago, I just had to open a local newspaper to check the "Jobs Wanted" Section, call them on the phone and make an appointment for an interview. After I arrived, they gave me a typing and shorthand test, they interviewed me for 20 minutes  - and offered me the job. Imagine that!!!! No game-playing nonsense.

I was also treated very well -- unlike, today, where ur disposable.

Esteemed Contributor

In the 50's I worked at a the . store with an old register and had to add everything in my head. Thankfully no one called me on it.  Today the machine for change comes down and have to remember to take it.

About other skills college lisn't everything. What about the trade school for we are losing skills by not going there. Good money too. And no student loans to pay off. My son will be retiring soon as a mechanic after 26 years.

Super Contributor

Progress I guess. There are new skills too.