Honored Contributor

Re: So it begins, warm weather kids left in cars......

@this is my nic wrote:

We're all assuming the parents are forgetting about their child in the back seat.  Quite frankly, I have to wonder how many of these tragedies aren't due to forgetfullness, rather done purposely.  I believe in these cases, the parents or babysitters, never see a day in prison because it was an "accident".   

@this is my nic 

That might be the case in other tragedies but in this case (original story),

the mother was with the child during the death. 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:
Sickening. If automakers can make an alarm sound when the seatbelt isn’t buckled when you start the car, why can’t they make an alarm sound if the baby car seat is still buckled when the engine is turned off? This would save babies!

There are a number of such devices already on the market

I was just going to post that.  At the very least - move your purse to the back seat so that when you get out you have to look back there to grab it.  I don't have children but my SUV doesn't have a key - it has the fob that just has to be in the car. 

When I get out of the car, if I hit the button to lock the door and my purse is still in the car (I keep the fob in the purse) it won't lock until the purse/fob are moved outside the vehicle. 

Trusted Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

I haven't 'forgotten'a child but I did have the misfortune of locking my infant in my car.  The vehicle was a new one for me and I didn't realize my keys were still in the ignition when I exited, fortunately it was spring time in New England and he slept through the entire ordeal.  Roadside took less than 20 minutes to address the lockout.

Yes, that happened to me when I was a new mother.  Before cell phones were popular.  I locked the baby in the car; and stood next to the car hysterically screaming at the top of my lungs, until someone flagged down the police for me.  (I was afraid to walk away from the car.)

Fortunately the police came quickly and got the car door open.  Otherwise, I was trying to figure out how to smash one of the windows away from the baby.  It was cool outside.  

Do the math.
Trusted Contributor

@Retired Legal Secretary--not sure which story you were referring to but I saw one where a child was left in a hot daycare van.  Come on!!  You have children all the time, people.  Is it not protocol to check the vehicle before leaving it to make sure all of the children are out? This happens way too much.