Esteemed Contributor

Re: So it begins, warm weather kids left in cars......

It’s a sad state that we have to say put your valuables in the backseat because you won’t forget them and that will make you see your less valuable child right next to that valuable phone.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

Blaming the parents will not bring the child back, but it will make the blamer feel better.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know how a person could forget they have a child in the car. I find this disturbing that a person is that forgetful. It is a human being not a bag of garbage. These people should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. There is no excuse for leaving a child or animal in a hot car to die. I wonder if this is ever done intentionally. Can a person be so ignorant ???

I truly believe we should have mandatory parenting classes. No one should have to be abused by a parent that chose to have a child or children. If you are not mentally stable, please do not have children or pets. Live your life as a choose but do not bring a child or animal into your life. I know this will not be popular but I care about innocent children and pets dying due to negligence.

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Blaming the parents will not bring the child back, but it will make the blamer feel better.

The person who leaves the child in the car is to blame.  There is no other person responsible for this , but them.  No one that I can think of feels better saying the parents are to blame.  But, no matter what..the parents or whomever left the child is to blame.  That's an honest fact.

Why do you think this makes people feel better to say this?  I can't imagine anything that would make a person feel better about this...not one thing.

Honored Contributor

I haven't 'forgotten'a child but I did have the misfortune of locking my infant in my car.  The vehicle was a new one for me and I didn't realize my keys were still in the ignition when I exited, fortunately it was spring time in New England and he slept through the entire ordeal.  Roadside took less than 20 minutes to address the lockout.

Trusted Contributor

@liliblu wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I know this has been discussed before, but already with warmer/hot temps, a baby died after being left in a car in Indianapolis.

I have one question,  why do people seem to remember they have a child with them in cold weather?  I don't remember hearing case after case of a children dying in a car in the winter.

I've got to stop reading all of these stories, it is too upsetting. I've forgotten my grocery list, my sunglasses and even my checkbook once, never ever my kids.

Children are left in cars in cold weather as well but if they are clothed they may be less likely to die.  But it does happen.

People who leave their children in the car are usually not the person that normally drives the child to day care or school.  Or there is a big deviation from their normal routine.  

We've become a country that loves to blame and punish.  More awareness should be pushed.  I used to work for the U.S. Department of Transportation under a different administration.  The agency pushed awareness programs to help prevent this from happening.  Placing a purse, back pack, briefcase, or one of your shoes on the back seat is a good idea.  

Awareness?  Who needs to be made aware of having a kid?

They need a license to drive but no license to be a parent.

That's the problem.

Trusted Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

OK.  What about the parents that do this on purpose?

Yes, on purpose.

They do not want a child and then they "accidentally" leave the kid in a hot car.

Can I blame them?

Honored Contributor

@Carmie @Try as I might I can not think of a reasonably acceptable reason to forget your child in the car.How that is possible has not been explained in a way I can understand.My child’s safety was a priority that I took very seriously.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@liliblu wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I know this has been discussed before, but already with warmer/hot temps, a baby died after being left in a car in Indianapolis.

I have one question,  why do people seem to remember they have a child with them in cold weather?  I don't remember hearing case after case of a children dying in a car in the winter.

I've got to stop reading all of these stories, it is too upsetting. I've forgotten my grocery list, my sunglasses and even my checkbook once, never ever my kids.

Children are left in cars in cold weather as well but if they are clothed they may be less likey to die.  But it does happen.

People who leave their children in the car are usually not the person that normally drives the child to day care or school.  Or there is a big deviation from their normal routine.  

We've become a country that loves to blame and punish.  More awareness should be pushed.  I used to work for the U.S. Department of Transportation under a different administration.  The agency pushed awareness programs to help prevent this frn happening.  Placing a purse, back pack, briefcase, or one of your shoes on the back seat is a good idea.  

@liliblu 

It's called RESPONSIBILITY....which seems to be avoided like the plague these days.....I'm tired of people passing the buck......

I bet if these parents left their phone boy they'd remember that.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

They forget their kids, but not their cell phones.  People need to stop with all of the distractions and get down to basics.

I have been pretty forgetful on occasion, but never left a child or dog in a car or anywhere.  When you responsible for another life, you need to make it your top priority.

These stories are all too common and very upsetting.

@Carmie 

two-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

AMEN! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”