Esteemed Contributor

So it begins, warm weather kids left in cars......

I know this has been discussed before, but already with warmer/hot temps, a baby died after being left in a car in Indianapolis.

I have one question,  why do people seem to remember they have a child with them in cold weather?  I don't remember hearing case after case of a children dying in a car in the winter.

I've got to stop reading all of these stories, it is too upsetting. I've forgotten my grocery list, my sunglasses and even my checkbook once, never ever my kids.

Honored Contributor

Re: So it begins, warm weather kids left in cars......

Sickening. If automakers can make an alarm sound when the seatbelt isn’t buckled when you start the car, why can’t they make an alarm sound if the baby car seat is still buckled when the engine is turned off? This would save babies!
Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Sickening. If automakers can make an alarm sound when the seatbelt isn’t buckled when you start the car, why can’t they make an alarm sound if the baby car seat is still buckled when the engine is turned off? This would save babies!

@lovesrecess   Why can’t parents just remember their kids? It’s not that difficult . I never even came close to forgetting to take my son out of the car. I question their fitness to be parents in the first place.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

There are a number of such devices already on the market

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess   I agree that someone needs to come up with something to save these kids and stop the needless death.

It's sad that no one needs a devise or alarm to remind them to take their cell phones with them.

Honored Contributor

I have seen some you can buy....but the type of parent who does this isn’t going out and buy ingredients a device...it would be better if it came on the car and made the annoying sound you could t disengage..like the seatbelt one.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you are FORGETTING your baby or small child in a car you have totally failed as a parent. People really need to simplify their lives if this is increasing. I never heard about this crime until a couple of years ago.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Valued Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I know this has been discussed before, but already with warmer/hot temps, a baby died after being left in a car in Indianapolis.

I have one question,  why do people seem to remember they have a child with them in cold weather?  I don't remember hearing case after case of a children dying in a car in the winter.

I've got to stop reading all of these stories, it is too upsetting. I've forgotten my grocery list, my sunglasses and even my checkbook once, never ever my kids.

Children are left in cars in cold weather as well but if they are clothed they may be less likey to die.  But it does happen.

People who leave their children in the car are usually not the person that normally drives the child to day care or school.  Or there is a big deviation from their normal routine.  

We've become a country that loves to blame and punish.  More awareness should be pushed.  I used to work for the U.S. Department of Transportation under a different administration.  The agency pushed awareness programs to help prevent this frn happening.  Placing a purse, back pack, briefcase, or one of your shoes on the back seat is a good idea.  

Valued Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

If you are FORGETTING your baby or small child in a car you have totally failed as a parent. People really need to simplify their lives if this is increasing. I never heard about this crime until a couple of years ago.

This has been happening for as long as there have been cars with windows.

Honored Contributor

They forget their kids, but not their cell phones.  People need to stop with all of the distractions and get down to basics.

I have been pretty forgetful on occasion, but never left a child or dog in a car or anywhere.  When you responsible for another life, you need to make it your top priority.

These stories are all too common and very upsetting.