Honored Contributor

Re: So how are your investments doing?

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

If you own good companies with good cash flow thelong  term investors will recover. The panicking is causing the tanking.

@Nancy Drew, some may be panicking. But you can't fault the business sector because so many of them have already been hit hard -- travel industries, anything associated with shipping, and so on and so on. Right now here in SoCal, the ports are bleeding from it.

Also, @Nancy Drew, it's important to remember that China is the second-largest economy. What affects them -- and this virus is wreaking havoc there -- affects us and the rest of the world.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My advisor called to talk me off the wall.  But I thought it over, the portion I have in stocks I do not want there. It won't get better for a couple ears.  Too much going on. I am too old for the waiting game.  But for the younger , it will recover.  It always does. If we lived through the tech bust, and 2008 we know it will recover.  It I just for those retired or older probably annuities or just old fashioned cds.  You can get around the 250,000 max FICD rules.  It doesn't make a lot, but is secure

Respected Contributor

A correction was overdue, and I was expecting it, though I didn't think it would be a global virus.

I assume my contributions are now buying stocks at bargain prices.

I'm no spring chicken, and it's on me that I am totally still in the market.  But overall it does well over time and is for me the best resource for building finances for retirement.

Honored Contributor

Not bad for me.  I am a pretty conservative investor, keep up with things, and bleed off some profits when the market is high--which I did about a month ago.  I move things to an IRA and don't pay taxes on that.

So in a few years, I have done well with this account--all from profits. 

Honored Contributor

I'm looking to buy stock at a lower price now. 

Respected Contributor

Well of course they have taken a hit. My 403b is diversified, but I am not a pollyanna about the hit. It is a loss, no matter how you look at it. I won't make any changes though because it is better to ride it out. 

It is also a little disconcerting that the 10 year interest rate hit an all time low.

Have a good friend that is really sweating this since she has 529s for her twins that are juniors in high school. There is not as much time to recover there.

And as far as it only being on paper....my financial planner told me years ago that saying should be buried, never to resurface.  As he said then, one could say that about your bank statement.  It is just numbers on paper.   He also said if it was just paper, then no one would have to claim capital gains or losses, so it is more than just paper. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

I don't think it is totally true the drop in stocks is caused by panicking.  Some Businesses are closed for a while.  Travel is restricted or forbidden.  Some businesses are truly suffering.  SuzyQ is totally correct.  What effects China, effects us and the world. But US more than any other country.  We are a global connection.  Remember. China owns the banks, real estate here AND the US borrows boat loads of money from China.  They manufacture our medications, and just about everything we depend on

Esteemed Contributor

Actually, my dh looked at his account where most of our money is, and in the last week he has actually made 12 bucks, lol. 

He had told me a while back he was moving it to a more stable fund. 

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I'm looking to buy stock at a lower price now. 

Oh, I was too. I was wanting to buy Apple stock and its still nearly 300 bucks a share. 

Respected Contributor

this is the best thing ever, yep DH finally is getting some apple stock this week could never afford it, yes we are losing money these lasts weeks but if you get it cheaper hang on for a few yrs you will be fine. got just a few of amazon that is expensive even now but so funny a few shares. If you know someone that has a mortgage tell them to refinance now get locked in. Don't panic it will go up maybe not for awhile but hang in there. Now is the time to buy.