Esteemed Contributor

Re: So have the phone scammers found a new ploy?

I've been getting calls that show  'Incoming call"  on the phone id.  I don't answer and there is no message from caller.  But I can not block as there is no number!!  So irritating.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spent2much wrote:

We get a call from "Ever Source" every.single.day!  It's not Ever Source, but yet another scam.  Once, my husband waited to speak with them and told them, "We've received at least 10 calls from you and we're not interested."  The caller said, "Well then, you'll probably receive another 10 calls."  

Now it's WAY over 10.  It's been at least a month or two and, as I say, they call every.single.day.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!  Smiley Mad

@spent2much 

OMG those Eversource calls never end. They are the biggest PITA ever!. I can't tell you how many numbers I've blocked that they call from. And they almost always look like a local call. Eversource claims the calls are not actually from them at all but part of a scam. Whoever is making them needs to be burned at the stake.

Respected Contributor

I've  received the Chinese phone calls, so did my friend in CA;  I'm in NC.  So, they definitely have the whole country covered.  Beyond annoying!  Since I'm a skeptic, I have to wonder if there's a plan in the works putting our country at risk with these calls and I don't mean the kind of risk we usually associate with scammers. 

Honored Contributor

On those Incoming Call thst come in, if you go to your service provider website, they are with a number. I block them. One that keeps calling despite being blocked is one calling itself: League of Woman. It is not the League of Woman voters. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Just hang on awhile. Our legislators are so sick of complaints about this that they are actually working on remedies. Thus, the new law that just went into effect. Same goes for our telephone providers. Both can’t stand the thousands and thousands of complaints coming in. It’s only a matter of time until fixes are available. I don’t have an answering machine on my land line. That helps. I don’t know if cell phones can turn off voice mail, but if they can do so, I’d turn this off for now (unless I was in business or had something going on that I needed to leave it on). 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi  I never heard of Eversource  calling Scam  what phone number do they use You said they use lots of numbers and local can you give me one of these numbers please I can check if they are on my call block list? tia 

Also on the news  tell us about a new scam or old scam   they never give out the phone numbers or area code wish they give us some idea part of number or city?

Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette 

@Krimpette wrote:

I have a land line.  I have had three calls in the last couple of weeks (the most recent being this morning) with the same pattern.  The phone rings three short rings but the number doesn't register on my caller ID.  In each case, they leave a message.  Their messages are read in such a fashion that it's almost impossible to discern what they are saying.  The only thing understandable is the phone number they leave, which always begins with 877.  Since the number doesn't register, I have no way of blocking them.  (Needless to say, i don't answer them, especially since I can't even understand them on the voice message!).   Anyone else get similar calls?

I get them every morning bet. 7/8, then every afternoon three or four times and sometime at 8/9_in the evening.  Couple times at 2/3 am.  I would welcome a couple of weeks to go by before I get one.  I don't answer my landline or cell anymore until I hear a voice I recognize.  I,m 83 and back in the day, we didn,t have all the troubles with phones, scams, banks, hacks etc.  that we have today. 

Trusted Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I think I might have gotten rid of one of the scammers.  I picked up the landline phone and the gent on the other end asked for GERRARD which is not exactly my husbands name.  So hurriedly I said HE IS GONE,not even thinking.  I am still laughing about this one.  His reply was"  I am so sorry, I will take him off the list."  Apparently I killed him off and he was deceased or that is what he read into my comment.  Iiterally laughed for hours.  Same guy who kept calling in the past.  I recognize voices.  I iimagine that is the last of himm.  

Thanks for sharing this, @bonnieluSmiley LOL Heart

I had a really good laugh over this, too. It's great when we can keep our sense of humor about all of this, even though it's more frustrating than anything else.

For the longest time, I would read about how people would get the calls from the "IRS" scammer supposedly, saying that they owed back taxes or whatever, and that they were going to be arrested and sent to jail. Smiley Frustrated

Then, we finally started getting those robocalls. Those, and the ones from "Microsoft" scammer supposedly telling you that your computer is being hijacked and that you have to pay to have someone release it--or something like that. Smiley Frustrated

If you think about it, these phone calls are absurd, but they're meant to sound really scary and menacing and are done in such a way where the person who receives them is supposed to act immediately.

They're meant to instill fear in us. They're horribly manipulative! Smiley Mad Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@Ttownlady wrote:

Hi  I never heard of Eversource  calling Scam  what phone number do they use You said they use lots of numbers and local can you give me one of these numbers please I can check if they are on my call block list? tia 

Also on the news  tell us about a new scam or old scam   they never give out the phone numbers or area code wish they give us some idea part of number or city?

Here's the latest number they called me from last night at 7:51pm.

959-481-9019

The rest of the numbers I've cleared out of my phone. I clear them out as soon as I block them. That particular number does not belong to any local home residence phone nor local business. Those I won't give out on a bb as I wouldn't want anyone giving out mine if a scammer is using it to look like their call is coming from me. The one I'm giving you googling only tells me it's coming from the Hartford, Ct. area.

Honored Contributor

Thank goodness for Caller ID!  I do have a landline and rarely answer these unknown calls.  One time I got so tired of the same call, I picked up phone and said "Police Department, how may I help you?"..... CLICK!  The latest scam technique in my area is they attach a familiar business name to the call.....for  instance.....library or Village Hall ....even high school....so you think.....hmmm...maybe I should answer.....SCAM!  

It's a different world......sigh......BE ON GUARD....always!