Frequent Contributor
My sister works at a juvenile detention facility and had for many years. She’s been off on disability after a work injury and it’s time to go back but has been informed that she’s not ALLOWED to wear a mask there. They’re saying it would upset the kids. Well, she’s got a chronically ill daughter who is definitely in the most at risk group and so this virus is a huge danger to her. Not to mention, the guards could give it to the kids! I had to vent. I’ve told her to alert the media and spread the word. Apparently this is happening all over the nation. No idea if it’s that way in adult prisons too.
Esteemed Contributor

my neighbor has a DIL who is a nurse at a local hospital....she was informed that she was exposed to the virus last week by a fellow employee...but she was told to report to work and not stay home.....really????  she's afraid if she stays home she will lose her job....she and her husband have started taking their temperature....why is it we have to follow the rules...but a hospital doesn't......i am so annoyed...all i know is...if i'm dying and need to go to a hospital....now or five years from now....it won't be that one....how dare they......

Respected Contributor

She may want to consider contacting the State Health Department for her area. They typically have oversight of these facilities, and can best advise her.

Honored Contributor

They are afraid of upsetting kids who earned their way into juvenile detention?  Is that not for the under age accused of criminal behavior?  I would think the whole point is to upset them so they choose not to return again.  

Honored Contributor

I suspect this institution hasn't masks for all the juveniles and seeing someone wearing one would cause fear and panic among them. 

The administration has to put the welfare of the juveniles in their care first.

Frequent Contributor
@sann, I’ll tell her of your suggestion. That’s an excellent idea.
Frequent Contributor
@Laura14, It is a place where kids who have broken the law are incarcerated. From what I’ve heard, there’s a lot more worry about offending them than I would probably have. They are the state’s responsibility though and I’m sure they need to be careful. That being said, keeping the people who work with them (my sister is a guard) from transmitting this virus to them should be a priority.
Esteemed Contributor

what ever happened to "see something/say something."  now that will get you fired.....just not right.......i'm sitting here fuming......

Honored Contributor

@Athome2 That's what I thought.  You would think they would care about liability on both sides rather than worrying about hurting a kid's feelings especially if they are supposed to be in a state time out.