Respected Contributor

Re: So angry and upset right now.... I could spit arrows

have you used a rental service or realtor? Don't know for sure, but that might help.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

Have you tried HomeAway?

HomeAway and VRBO seem to be in bed together... Same company now

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@3suwm5 wrote:

Carmie - I am very sorry to hear about all your troubles.  That is as frustrating as can be.   Our son took a 5-7 week assignment for summer intern in Ft. Worth a few years ago and didn't have confirmation of the job until a month or two before hand.  He was able to get into Extended Stay or that America's Best (I believe that's what it's called, someone else here mentioned it).  I think he had to move to another room after 1 week because of availability, but the same building.  That may be your best bet???

You sure have really opened our eyes to RV issues though.  I didn't know of these kinds of crazy rules, we were tossing around the idea of purchasing a small one.  Thank you for that.

I am guessing these are fancy rv parks, not KOA.

They are billing high fees because of the location and demand this time of year.  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Nothing you wrote here surprises me. I live in a resort town in SW Florida right on the gulf and people have to reserve RV space or condo/apartments 2 years ahead of time.There are people who come to the food bank who rent a home for 9 months of the year but get kicked out from Jan thru march so it can be rented for a ridiculous price to snowbirds for the height of the season. Those displaced end up living in their car for the most part , or if they come to our church we will loan them a tent and sleeping bags, then they move into a state park campground nearby and live there. 

The prices for a RV spot are riduculous too - in 2010 we rented one for 3 months for $1500/month. It was right on the beach though. We were there looking to buy a home and we did. We would not otherwise have paid that, and we did reserve the space in April of 2008 when we were down there on vacation.

That is awful.  Who does something like that to others?

I would love to rent a spot on the beach for $1500 a month near Sarasota.  But the prices are higher now.

( I might visit you and park in your driveway!  Just kiddin)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The "season" in resort cities is limited to good weather.    That is the only time of the year when profits can be made.......and that money has to last ALL year.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Nothing you wrote here surprises me. I live in a resort town in SW Florida right on the gulf and people have to reserve RV space or condo/apartments 2 years ahead of time.There are people who come to the food bank who rent a home for 9 months of the year but get kicked out from Jan thru march so it can be rented for a ridiculous price to snowbirds for the height of the season. Those displaced end up living in their car for the most part , or if they come to our church we will loan them a tent and sleeping bags, then they move into a state park campground nearby and live there. 

The prices for a RV spot are riduculous too - in 2010 we rented one for 3 months for $1500/month. It was right on the beach though. We were there looking to buy a home and we did. We would not otherwise have paid that, and we did reserve the space in April of 2008 when we were down there on vacation.

That is awful.  Who does something like that to others?

I would love to rent a spot on the beach for $1500 a month near Sarasota.  But the prices are higher now.

( I might visit you and park in your driveway!  Just kiddin)

@Carmie  One of the RI's I stayed in  that took dogs (although I didn't have a dog) was in Sarasota in a very convenient location, close to the airport.  I think that was my favorite one! I stayed there for the longest time of any of them (three weeks).

I am going some place later this month to an event and I just looked at the RI in the city where I'm going in the midwest and the two RIs I looked at got rave reviews from the customrs.  I mean really rave!

Honored Contributor

@Carmie  - I wish I could offer you that but, you know, we have an HOA. 

I imagine part of your problem is that they want people who are going to stay for the entire 3 or 4 months and you are only looking to stay one month. So then they would have to find someone for the other 2 to 3 months. Maybe if you try some areas in interior Florida as most of the snowbirds prefer to be near the ocean.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My SIL and BIL just bought a cottage at the trailer park this year,  they were hauling this humongous trailer every winter down to FLa. They just had a right time at the right place time and maybe this is yours. Have you checked cottages that you can buy and not have to haul trailers every year? Might be a consideration. Especially at this point in your lives.

@Carmie

Honored Contributor

@qualitygalWe actually have two trailers.  The newer larger on is on a larger permanent site,  we have a deck and small garage there too.  We don't intend on moving this trailer.

Our smaller trailer used to be at our permanent site until we grew out of it. We use this one for traveling, it has been to Vermont to New Orleans.  We really don't mind towing it.

i would love to have a cottage in Florida, but since we already have land and a vacation spot for our large trailer here in PA, that probably won't happen.

Finally this morning, I found an RV Park that had one spot left. We booked it.  The price was great too.  It is not in our desired location, but it will be nice to be in warmer weather in February.  I will probably not get to wear shorts, but I know I won't need  my down parka.

thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Contributor

I am so sorry. I know how frustrating it is. I live in an apartment in SF Bay area and all I can say is that it seems that rent in popular destinations are sky rocketing. It seems like our society has gotten so materialistic it is unbelieveable and unreasonable.