Valued Contributor

Re: So angry and upset right now.... I could spit arrows

yes I know, believe me.  We live in LA, not that far and every time we take our cat with us and every time it's adventure to travel with cat. But we want to go and I never can be without my 3rd and the best son.crazy I know.

By the way, January , February and March the most expensive month, the rest time of the year it's much cheaper.

good luck!

Honored Contributor

@Melania wrote:

Try AirBnB  www.airbnb.com

They said the same thing about VRBO that you all are saying.

@Melania

What is VRBO ?

Respected Contributor

Have you tried HomeAway?

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Melania wrote:

Try AirBnB  www.airbnb.com

They said the same thing about VRBO that you all are saying.

@Melania

What is VRBO ?

It stands for Vacation Rentals BY Owner.

People rent their residences all over the country like Airbnb.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie

Try this place and see if it suits you:

Port St Lucie RV Park

It is listed on Trip Advisor

It is near the beaches and lots of shopping. I can give you more info on the area if you are interested.

Honored Contributor

After reading through this thread......I would choose to just stay home.  

Trusted Contributor

Carmie - I am very sorry to hear about all your troubles.  That is as frustrating as can be.   Our son took a 5-7 week assignment for summer intern in Ft. Worth a few years ago and didn't have confirmation of the job until a month or two before hand.  He was able to get into Extended Stay or that America's Best (I believe that's what it's called, someone else here mentioned it).  I think he had to move to another room after 1 week because of availability, but the same building.  That may be your best bet???

You sure have really opened our eyes to RV issues though.  I didn't know of these kinds of crazy rules, we were tossing around the idea of purchasing a small one.  Thank you for that.

Honored Contributor

@3suwm5 wrote:

Carmie - I am very sorry to hear about all your troubles.  That is as frustrating as can be.   Our son took a 5-7 week assignment for summer intern in Ft. Worth a few years ago and didn't have confirmation of the job until a month or two before hand.  He was able to get into Extended Stay or that America's Best (I believe that's what it's called, someone else here mentioned it).  I think he had to move to another room after 1 week because of availability, but the same building.  That may be your best bet???

You sure have really opened our eyes to RV issues though.  I didn't know of these kinds of crazy rules, we were tossing around the idea of purchasing a small one.  Thank you for that.

I am guessing these are fancy rv parks, not KOA.

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't know that VRBO changed ownership.  I've only used it once and that was 5 or 6 years ago.  I thought it was a pain then.  I e-mailed at least 12 condo owners and only heard back from 3.  One told me their condo was already booked (although their calendar said otherwise) and one told me they preferred a three-month booking over the one month I was looking for.  The third owner was a real sweetheart and I booked it. 

I just thought it took A LOT of time and energy and wasn't worth the frustration.

Good luck with your search. 

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nothing you wrote here surprises me. I live in a resort town in SW Florida right on the gulf and people have to reserve RV space or condo/apartments 2 years ahead of time.There are people who come to the food bank who rent a home for 9 months of the year but get kicked out from Jan thru march so it can be rented for a ridiculous price to snowbirds for the height of the season. Those displaced end up living in their car for the most part , or if they come to our church we will loan them a tent and sleeping bags, then they move into a state park campground nearby and live there. 

The prices for a RV spot are riduculous too - in 2010 we rented one for 3 months for $1500/month. It was right on the beach though. We were there looking to buy a home and we did. We would not otherwise have paid that, and we did reserve the space in April of 2008 when we were down there on vacation.