Respected Contributor

Re: So angry and upset right now.... I could spit arrows

Try AirBnB  www.airbnb.com

They said the same thing about VRBO that you all are saying.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Great advice, @Pearlee !!!

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone  for the suggestions.  We have stayed in a Residents Inn before in Williamsburg, VA.  I have to agree that I enjoyed my time there.

I have thought about it, but haven't checked into it yet.  

I hate the bait and switch stuff out there.  Some places want 100% of the rent upfront.  It's August.  NO ONE is getting to use my money for six months interest free.  I do agree to a non refundable deposit., but not the whole fee.  It's getting so hard to trust people anymore.

I might be cheaper to buy a place there.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @alliswell.   Glad you could see how much I like the Residence Inn.

I've also stayed at an Extended Stay America in a different state and I didn't think it was nearly as nice as the RI, but it might have been just that one particular one (and the service was bad there too). 

Honored Contributor

@Lsk wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

i am a very calm person by nature.  It takes a lot to get eat a rise out of me, but the incidents of late have brought me to my boiling point.

My husband and I, both recently retired, planned to travel to a warm location for the whole month of February 2017.  I have spent the past two weeks looking for a place on the Internet.  I first looked at RV parks as we have a 27 ft travel trailer that is easy to pull and has plenty of room for us.  

I have not had any luck.  Some parks only allow Class C, the big drivable rigs, others only allow travel trailers less than 5, 7 or 10 years old.  Our Camper is 16 years old.  We do have a 2012 model on a permanent site, but it is way too big and cumbersome to tow to Flordia.  We purchased it is Indiana and towed it to PS already.  

Still more RV parks will only rent for 3 months minimum during the winter months.  We found a park with room for the month.... It rented for over $4000 for one month.

So, I decided to look for a condo, small house or apartment for rent.  I have in the past, rented places through VRBO with much success, so I thought I'd look there.

I have checked every property in Flordia and even in Alabama's gulf coast islands.  I e- mailed the owners of quite a few proprties that I  thought would work for us. Most of the time, I have not heard back.

Yesterday and again, today two owners got back to me.  They told me that the property I was interested in was not available, but they had another similar one that I could rent..  I noticed in both cases, they were offering me the property,,,,the EXACT same property for a much higher price then quoted on VERBO.  The condo was $3000 more than the listed price for one month and the other one, a house was $77 a day more.... That's $2079 more a month.  Do they think I am stupid!

In any case, here I am.  I wasted a lot of time on this and I didn't get any where.  I know one thing, since VRBO changed hands, it is not the same.

Does anyone know where I can find a rental in a warm climate..no more then a days ride from PA at a reasonable price that excepts pets?   I am at my wits end.

Hi. I can tell about very good place , it's RV park but you can rent Mobil house, very good , one bedroom, living room , small kitchen, it's really good. Rent in February around $2100, but  it's is but , this is in WEST COST, CA,DESERT HOT SORING.

the place has pools and spa with mineral water, A lot of people from USA and CANADA all year around, but I don't know if you want to go to WEST COAST.

any way it's desert hot  spring RV resort.google.

I LOVE California, but it would be difficult to travel with dogs to the west coast.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie  The owners wanting to rent to you at a higher price? It's a scam. There are numerous reports about how this is starting to pop up as well as CC scamming/theft when putting down a deposit.

This happened to my FIL when he was booking a place in the UK via BRBO. Exact same thing. Only, he gave his credit info after agreeing to the higher price. The CC page brought up some VERY ODD encryption language and my FIL immediately hit ESC. The owner of the unit then asked him to WIRE the money (illegal) and FIL refused. He immediately contacted his bank who then informed him the would report the incident to their international fraud division as his case was one of many they knew about. Sure enough, there were hits on his CC within SECONDS of putting in the info.

Old bait and switch.  Good for you for seeing through it.

Honored Contributor

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

Try Extended Stay America.  My elderly neighbor spends January through

March in Miami every year and she uses them. she raves about the experience.  Hubby and I considering 3_weeks in Arizona in March and we'd like Extended Stay rather than a hotel.

Thanks, I'll be checking them out too.

Esteemed Contributor

Another vote for Airbnb. That's the way to go.

Honored Contributor

I never heard of AirBnB, but I'll check it out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many people here live in trailor/rv parks all year. 4,000 for a month to park it?

Crazy here it's like 300-500 a month. It can be old or a new one.