Honored Contributor

Re: So What Happens after YOU die?

In the event that I should ever die, I will not care what happens because I'll be dead.

My worry is about my husband. He does all the financial work and does it meticulously. That includes his business dealings. There is no way I won't be totally lost if HE should ever die. We both make financial decisions together, of course, but I know nothing about all the ins-and-outs of accounts and such, including taxes and more.

Every once in a while when I panic, I try to get him to go through it with me. But since I don't keep up regularly, it all evaporates from my mind. This is partially my lazy fault for not insisting to learn as much as I could. It's very scary to me.

I understand that there is such a thing as a daily money manager, and that might be one way to help in the beginning. One thing I do insist upon is that he keep me apprised of password and account changes.

This whole mortality thing is bad enough without all this.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

In the event that I should ever die, I will not care what happens because I'll be dead.

My worry is about my husband. He does all the financial work and does it meticulously. That includes his business dealings. There is no way I won't be totally lost if HE should ever die. We both make financial decisions together, of course, but I know nothing about all the ins-and-outs of accounts and such, including taxes and more.

Every once in a while when I panic, I try to get him to go through it with me. But since I don't keep up regularly, it all evaporates from my mind. This is partially my lazy fault for not insisting to learn as much as I could. It's very scary to me.

I understand that there is such a thing as a daily money manager, and that might be one way to help in the beginning. One thing I do insist upon is that he keep me apprised of password and account changes.

This whole mortality thing is bad enough without all this.

@suzyQ3 Write everything down !! Knowing the accounts, passwords, etc is critical. You should be listed as a beneficiary on all those accounts  as well. 

Esteemed Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

When my Father was dying back in 1982, he said, don't go spending money on a funeral, after I die, put me in my best suit and set me out by the curb on garbage day....seriously, he said that.

@fourpaws56 Maybe our father's were related, as mine said the very same thing! He said he didn't care when he was dead & just put him out on trash day! I think it is residual effect of growing up in the depression era & people couldn't afford funerals.

Respected Contributor

@sommertime  my Dad had a very good sense of humor..his Birthday is today, he would have been 101

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Burn my ashes and spread them the place I've chosen which I won't post here. That's it. Unless I'm murdered I'm not haunting anyone. I'm ready to go to my next life. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

There are a couple of people I wouldn't mind haunting. . . .

Honored Contributor

Cremation.  Ashes in a handbag urn. My husband and I have a very good will, and the kids have been instructed.  Stuff they dont want goes to charit auction.

Respected Contributor

Very interesting post.  Thank you to many here who make me not feel so alone in my wishes.  Cremation and no services.  Perfectly ok with me. 

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@fourpaws56 wrote:

When my Father was dying back in 1982, he said, don't go spending money on a funeral, after I die, put me in my best suit and set me out by the curb on garbage day....seriously, he said that.

My father used to say to toss him out with the trash, too.  His ashes ended up in a really fancy niche at a cemetery. 

I don’t know why people say things like that. I know woman who has told her children just throw her off a bridge or something. Everybody knows nobody is going to do anything like that. I just don’t understand why somebody says something like it. Maybe they’re just trying to lighten a moment during an uncomfortable discussion.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@fourpaws56 wrote:

My father used to say to toss him out with the trash, too.  His ashes ended up in a really fancy niche at a cemetery. 

I don’t know why people say things like that. I know woman who has told her children just throw her off a bridge or something. Everybody knows nobody is going to do anything like that. I just don’t understand why somebody says something like it. Maybe they’re just trying to lighten a moment during an uncomfortable discussion.

I see it as a clear message:  Do whatever you feel like doing when I'm gone. Funeral, no funeral, whatever!  That's not a bad message to leave. It says he's not going to worry about what happens and they have the freedom to do as they feel at the time.