Respected Contributor

Re: So What Happens after YOU die?

I have no family to speak of. I was an only child parents gone and was married with no children of my own. Cousins I haven't heard from in many years.  My Mother did not want  children  I was told. Friends come and go in life. My assets are in one place. I went to a Tech  School workshop   by an Estate Att., Pricey. She admitted any Att. can do a Living Trust. I have to figure out who to leave  my assets to first. I am traveling as retired in Jan. and fixing my home up for my ease. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Made very clear - cremated and absolutely NO viewing or service of any kind.  Obit is their choice.  I told them they didn't even have to pick up my ashes if they didn't want to but if they do, scatter ashes someplace bc that doesn't matter to me either.  

Years ago I had a trust, pourover will, power of attorney and advance medical paperwork prepared by a lawyer so my house and almost all assets have been moved into my trust (no probate) and I have made sure any and all monetary accounts have POD/beneficiary instructions - again, no probate.  My understanding is that the only thing that will have to be done is that my executrix just has to keep the estate open for about a year to pay the bills associated with my death.  

Regular Contributor

I have two daughters and my will is simple, everything to them equally.  But, I’ve made it real easy.  Cremation, no services etc, wrote my obituary, ashes to be cast to the wind along with the ashes of my pug, Baby.  All my jewelry has been given to my girls and granddaughters already.  All favorite pieces of furniture has been given away.  All clothing items to go to a shelter, with some just being thrown out, All outdoor furniture and plants go to my niece, all inside decoration stuff for the girls to divide and rest to goodwill.  It’s not much anymore as all Christmas stuff has been given away.  I have given lots away, just down to basics, Im 72 and have decluttered a lot.  I own no property or cars, etc., all property belongs to my husband and he has left it all to his son.  All my financial accounts are jointly held by my daughters and they sign on everything and have full power of attorney to all.  Husband signed all his rights to my financial interests to my daughters (since he has left all his property that was passed down to him to his son).  All clearly stated in will and legally signed by all involved.  I only have a QVC card and one credit card with funds set aside to pay off.  Not much though.  All important papers have been detailed and a file for me and for husband. All accounts noted, and I even wrote sample letter to creditors to close accounts.  I am a very organized person.  Papers all in a fire proof box by door just in case we need to evacuate, etc.  All done.  We both do not carry lots of debt, older now and have learned how to live debt free.  It’s a good thing.  Not much material stuff anymore.  Done.  Hope this helps others.

Regular Contributor

Husband passed 4 months ago.Knew what his wishes were and all were carried out as he wished,  What we didn't think about was all the many times you change the passwords to your accounts. You guessed it many were changed and forgot to write them down what a nightmare.........I would like to say my husband was a donor and helped over 50 people was so pleased to receive the letter telling me so.Cremation was his choice and he was taken to funeral home and I picked up his ashes. I prefer this for myself and I think my family will agree we all felt this the best way.  Its such a sad time for all the simplier the better......

Honored Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

Great thing to have......

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at Sun, Aug 12, 2018-2.27.07 PM.png

I have this book.  Have I filled it out?  Nope. 

The lawyer I used gave me a binder to use similar to this book.  I have the electronic pages so I can print updates any time and update the pages in the binder.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

We have it written that we will both be cremated with a funeral Mass at our church!  We have written down who to contact at the church that helps to arrange funerals just in case we both were to die in an accident or plane crash!

We have a living trust in place!  Woman HappyMan Happy

Honored Contributor

@Financialgrl wrote:

Made very clear - cremated and absolutely NO viewing or service of any kind.  Obit is their choice.  I told them they didn't even have to pick up my ashes if they didn't want to but if they do, scatter ashes someplace bc that doesn't matter to me either.  

Years ago I had a trust, pourover will, power of attorney and advance medical paperwork prepared by a lawyer so my house and almost all assets have been moved into my trust (no probate) and I have made sure any and all monetary accounts have POD/beneficiary instructions - again, no probate.  My understanding is that the only thing that will have to be done is that my executrix just has to keep the estate open for about a year to pay the bills associated with my death.  

And for that person that is one heck of a job usually!  Done that twice now.  It is hard to keep up with what is paid and not, what bills are outstanding, and if you have to change addresses it is really chaotic sometimes.  There are utilities to deal with if the house is involved too.   And insurance, etc. etc.

Valued Contributor

My adult daughter and I were out shopping when I came across this book.  I showed it to her & asked her to take a look and tell me her thoughts.  She thought it would be very helpful when the time came even though I have a will etc.  Highly recommend.

Honored Contributor

Oh, I forgot to add to my previous post, we have no children and relatives don't need anything, a good portion will go to the local animal shelter which depends on donations only. They receive so many animals and always need food donations etc. A portion of our money will gladly go to them. Something to think about if anyone has no one to leave their estate.

Super Contributor

@novamc1 and @gidgetgh,  I think it would be a wonderful world if I could just say "get the stuff out by a certain day".  There are always circumstances which can prevent that.  Maybe I am too soft hearted, maybe I saw what it did to my daughters when another family member did that (and they lost their stuff) and maybe I saw that doing that had too high a price emotionally for all of us.  I don't know.  This is the only part of my life or existence not settled.  I have thought about selling and downsizing but I have also had them both move back home when times get tough.  And, besides I love my mortgage free house.  I just jope it doesnt turn into a fancy storage shed when I am gone.