Honored Contributor

So What Happens after YOU die?

It seems we have come together a lot of times to talk about this: wills; dnr's, trusts, funeals, when, where, what happens to the house and the "stuff"?

Would you like to share your experiences, plans, and wishes?  What have you done that will make it easier for you relatives and friends?

Do you really care about services or no services?  

Is your "estate" (house, stuff) ready to be dispersed?  Do you have boxes and boxes of paperwork you should have gotten rid of and you poor suvivos will hate you for?  (LOL!!!)  

Do you have a list of people to haunt?  Woman Wink

We have wills, plans for the estate closing, and aren't too invested in services-but need to state that and we haven't.  AND we have the paperwork knocked down but have had to plough though THREE estates packed full of stuff in our lifetimes.  So been there, done that.

I thought it would be nice to discuss this and maybe pick up some ideas and thoughts along the way! 

Respected Contributor

Re: So What Happens after YOU die?

I have it all planned out...cremation,DS knows what to do with my remains. No service,donations to the ASPCA...simple, like me

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just cremation, no obits, no services.  Everything spelled out in my will.  If anyone feels I'm 'haunting' them, it's because they feel guilty.

Honored Contributor

Great thing to have......

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at Sun, Aug 12, 2018-2.27.07 PM.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Funeral Mass - burial.  The whole works!  We have a family plot with plenty of room.  

I told my brother to do whatever he wanted with the things I leave behind.  I won't have any further need. 

Trusted Contributor

Also, just cremation, no obit, no service, and if the person wants - a donation to local humane society.  DH has been instructed what to do with my ashes and ashes from our dogs.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I don't live with 'stuff', never have. No kitsch, papers or hoardes of junque. DS can toss what he chooses as far as belongings.

Thinking about a trust so everything passes seamlessly instead of probating a will. Have more than enough insurance to take care of everything.

No service for me, either. 

Super Contributor

Paperwork to divide money done, family jewelry already sorted and given out, body signed up for organ donation / medical research, family history / pictures identified and put on flash drives for each child so everything for me is done.  But my children will finally have to go through all of those boxes they left at home when they moved out years ago.  Almost wish I could stay and watch.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Great thing to have......

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at Sun, Aug 12, 2018-2.27.07 PM.png

I happen to own that. My sister sent it to me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lilypadfrog

Your post is hilarious.

For almost a decade, I pestered both kids to get their stuff out of our house, on the rare occasions when they would even come in town from other states.  Each time, they had an excuse for  not taking the stuff, but didn't want me to get rid of it.

Finally, on one visit we made to the state where older son was living, we showed up at his house in our car, opened the trunk, put his boxes in his driveway and said, "Here."

The second son realized a few days before our movers were scheduled to empty out his childhood home that he needed to load up HIS trunk with his stuff.

FINALLY!!!