Honored Contributor

Re: So Upset With My Home Warranty

[ Edited ]

In most states, the state attorney general's office has a consumer fraud division.  I'd start with them.  There is also a regulatory agency for insurance companies. 

Do you have an attorney?  Sometimes a well-written letter will do the trick. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Once I scored a new dishwasher!!

It came with the house from the buyer, and never did I think it would be worth anything.

I won for once.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Don't they have deductibles, too? For me personally, I would rather put the money away instead of spending it on warranty premiums. Have a 'rainy day fund' stashed for emergencies.

@SilleeMee 

Home warranties do no have what you would call a deductible. You pay a cost of about $500- $600 per year and it covers repairs and replacements of all appliances, heating/cooling systems, hot water heaters, water leaks in roof...that sort of thing. They charge a $60.00 fee each claim. Let's just say your air conditioner unit is old and quits working - needs to be replaced. You are looking at an expense of somewhere from $6000.00- 9,000.00.With the home warranty,you get a new unit installed for $60.00. That's quite a savings. Don't know about all states, but, here in Texas, when you sell a home, buyers expect you to provide one year's home warranty coverage. So,it is common to see that included in seller costs/fees.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

My daughter pays $100 up front every time someone from her Home Warrranty has to come out, dont know which company she has. 

Honored Contributor

@Sapphiregal As someone else posted, contact your state's Consumer Affairs office. When my mom died eons ago one of her life ins. carriers (a well known company) gave me the royal runaround.

Fortunately, I take names, dates and times on EVERYThING. I reported it to the California Consumer Affairs office, together with my complete set of notes and guess what?

Within 1 week I got the check and a very fake apology letter. This is after an almost 3 week battle.

So do take action and I wish you the best.

Honored Contributor

When you get to be my age and been around the block too many times to count when it comes to home repairs, I've managed to get to know some of the repair people and contractors by their first names...LOL! 

I've also taken some time to learn how to repair and maintain certain things around my house and that is worth more than most people can imagine. I've saved hundreds of dollars by doing it myself, knowing exactly what was needed instead of hiring someone to 'fix' it and leave me guessing if they took me for a ride.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Sapphiregal As someone else posted, contact your state's Consumer Affairs office. When my mom died eons ago one of her life ins. carriers (a well known company) gave me the royal runaround.

Fortunately, I take names, dates and times on EVERYThING. I reported it to the California Consumer Affairs office, together with my complete set of notes and guess what?

Within 1 week I got the check and a very fake apology letter. This is after an almost 3 week battle.

So do take action and I wish you the best.

@Love my grandkids 

Hooray for you!    

Sometimes people overlook that it can be very rewarding to be a nuisance.   Sometimes they'll give you the money just to make you go away.  

Of course, government agencies can scare companies who stiff consumers ... and THEY can assess huge fines.  Always a good thing when you need to intimidate them.  ha ha ha    Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 I am a many years retired legal secretary (as we were known back when). I got my first job in my early 20's and that's where I learned the importance of having a paper trail for anything like this. It has served me well.

Somehow, DS inherited this trait and has served him and his family well , too.

I am a detail person and so is he. 

Esteemed Contributor

Good luck to the original poster.  Keep calling until you get some satisfaction.  Insurance companies will find any reason NOT to pay.  They are such a rip off.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Contributor

We fought with AHS for three months to get money owed to us refunded.....terrible customer service.....they have outsourced to a foreign country and there is a real language barrier.....I despise that company.