Valued Contributor

So Upset With My Home Warranty

[ Edited ]

I had a water leak in my refrigerator. Water pouring onto the floor. So, called my home warranty service to file a claim for repair. Within an hour, I receive a text message letting me know that they have denied the claim. I am shocked, so,I call and speak to a claims rep. I am told that they denied it because what is happening is condensation. Well, my husband and I both know that is not the problem. I asked how they could make that determination without even sending someone out to look at. We argued a lot and they just kept insisting condensation.

So,we call a repairman and they conclude that the filter housing needs to be replaced. So, I call the home warranty company again to tell them and ask if they will reimburse for the repairs if I send copy of billing statement. Their response is that they cannot do that since the claim has been closed . If this is the way they circumvent having to repair anything for their customers, they are thieves.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Valued Contributor

Re: So Upset With My Home Warranty

Would that be AHS ??

Valued Contributor

@Pantsonfire2 wrote:

Would that be AHS ??

No,it is Select Home Warranty.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

I've always suspected that home warranty companies were less than reliable when it comes to paying for claims.  Similar to car warranty companies.  I have stayed away from both types of companies.

Honored Contributor

Don't they have deductibles, too? For me personally, I would rather put the money away instead of spending it on warranty premiums. Have a 'rainy day fund' stashed for emergencies.

Honored Contributor

@Sapphiregal wrote:

@Pantsonfire2 wrote:

Would that be AHS ??

No,it is Select Home Warranty.

@Sapphiregal 

My brother had AHS and they didn't cover much of anything either.

They weaseled out of almost every claim.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

When I first bought my condo and knew no repair people in the area and not even anyone who lived in my community, I had a warranty.  

Once I became more acquainted with the area, I decided I did not need them, and I have never reversed that decision.

Honored Contributor

@Sapphiregal wrote:

I had a water leak in my refrigerator. Water pouring onto the floor. So, called my home warranty service to file a claim for repair. Within an hour, I receive a text message letting me know that they have denied the claim. I am shocked, so,I call and speak to a claims rep. I am told that they denied it because what is happening is condensation. Well, my husband and I both know that is not the problem. I asked how they could make that determination without even sending someone out to look at. We argued a lot and they just kept insisting condensation.

So,we call a repairman and they conclude that the filter housing needs to be replaced. So, I call the home warranty company again to tell them and ask if they will reimburse for the repairs if I send copy of billing statement. Their response is that they cannot do that since the claim has been closed . If this is the way they circumvent having to repair anything for their customers, they are thieves.

@Sapphiregal 

Okay, first I must say I've never had a home warranty policy, so I'm just commenting based on your post.

First ...  so what if the claim has been closed?  It was based on incomplete information.  Open a new claim.

Second, before you speak to anyone there, go to your state's government website and search for anything "consumer" related .. consumer protection, consumer bill of rights ... you get the idea.   See what's posted, and print that out, reading carefully.   Call them and get a human on the phone, explain the problem, and ask for suggestions.   

There may have been other complaints against this company, so your experience could be very important to the consumer watchdogs if they need to build a case or fine that home warranty company.  Take the time.

When you talk to these people again, be sure to mention you've spoken to the Consumer Affairs people (or some official-sounding name).   Let them know they'll be reported if they don't open a NEW claim.  A little subtle threatening can sometimes work wonders. 

That's all that comes to mind at the moment .... let us know what you do, okay?   I'm curious how they will handle this.  HTH

Respected Contributor

Non manufacturer car warranties and home warranties are the same. Wasted money. They always have an out.
Honored Contributor

@Sapphiregal 

One more thing .... if they won't open a new claim, find out the procedure for how to DISPUTE their decision.  If you get nowhere, ask them to transfer you to their Supervisor.  If you don't get satisfaction from them, ask to speak to that person's Supervisor.  Escalate as much as necessary, suggesting you'll call the Top Person, whomever that might be.

Take names and keep notes and date them, just in case you need to refer back to them, or forward to the state's Consumer people.