Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: So Upset With My Home Warranty

@Flatbush wrote:

When I sold my condo, the real estate agent told me I had to offer the buyers a home warranty. I searched the Internet for information and saw that many of these companies  are fraudulent re. customer claims. 

I declined to offer it, but in the end I had to pay for it anyhow in order to sell the condo. So many scams abound.

The real estate agent prefers the seller of a property buy the home warranty - but it's negotiable. Sometimes the buyer and seller each pay half; sometimes the seller and the seller's agent each pay half. It's about the buyer feeling like they won't have a big expense after purchasing the property. Twenty years ago, I sold my townhome - I paid half and my agent paid half. Shortly after that, the water heater went out - and AHS paid to replace it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

When I bought this house 15 years ago, the sale came with a 1 year warranty (I think it was with AHS, but not sure anymore).  I think it had a $50-$60 deductible that I had to pay. 

I didn't have hot water to the kitchen sink & it turned out that the pipes to  the faucet had been hooked up backwards, so to get hot water, you had to push the lever to the right, instead of the left like in every other house I'd owned in my life.  The rest of the faucets in the bathrooms were fine, just the kitchen was backwards.  It didn't help that the pipes are under the slab & it takes 5 minutes to get hot water even when the lever is turned to the hot side. When I go to take a shower, I turn the water on & brush my teeth at the sink until the shower water comes out hot.  It's wasteful, but I've gotten used to it. 

The plumber the home warranty place sent thought the kitchen faucet was hooked up just fine & there was nothing wrong with it!  I think the warranty places don't deal with the best repair folks.  When the AC broke, the repair guy told me I should just buy a new system (the house was only 3 years old).   My realtor ended up covering the deductible for the kitchen faucet fix, since this should have been caught & fixed during the home inspection.

At the end of that first year, I didn't renew the warranty.

It's so obvious that the repair people sent out by the Home Warranty Companies favor the Warranty Companies. They turn down many of the legitimate complaint. I'm sure the repair people get a Big PayDay from those Warranty Companies. The homeowners should be able to choose their own repair people.You have to keep following up - with the people in management. 

Honored Contributor

I bought a Honda Accord new and even though I was paying cash for it I had to sit through this sales pitch for a warranty.  They just went on and on.  Finally they asked me what are you going to do if one of the computers goes out.  I told them that I would buy a Toyota next time.  That was 11 years ago.  Nothing on that car has gone out!

Respected Contributor

Those offerings are junk. Seldom worthwhile. They prey on fear. 

Trusted Contributor

I had the same thing happen to me with my homeowners insurance.  Decided to get toilets replaced in 2 bathrooms to high efficiency models. The plumber had no problem with the half bath but I got a call from him that an undetected leak had occurred due to a cracked seal in the master bath, ruining the subfloor and some of the wood structure.  The toilet never leaked or acted strange at all. The insurance company said it was a "chronic issue" and not due to a flood or some other BS. I am still peeved, can you tell? How does one tell the fixture is leaking internally if you never have a visable leak?

dee

Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@aubnwa01 wrote:

When I bought this house 15 years ago, the sale came with a 1 year warranty (I think it was with AHS, but not sure anymore).  I think it had a $50-$60 deductible that I had to pay. 

I didn't have hot water to the kitchen sink & it turned out that the pipes to  the faucet had been hooked up backwards, so to get hot water, you had to push the lever to the right, instead of the left like in every other house I'd owned in my life.  The rest of the faucets in the bathrooms were fine, just the kitchen was backwards.  It didn't help that the pipes are under the slab & it takes 5 minutes to get hot water even when the lever is turned to the hot side. When I go to take a shower, I turn the water on & brush my teeth at the sink until the shower water comes out hot.  It's wasteful, but I've gotten used to it. 

The plumber the home warranty place sent thought the kitchen faucet was hooked up just fine & there was nothing wrong with it!  I think the warranty places don't deal with the best repair folks.  When the AC broke, the repair guy told me I should just buy a new system (the house was only 3 years old).   My realtor ended up covering the deductible for the kitchen faucet fix, since this should have been caught & fixed during the home inspection.

At the end of that first year, I didn't renew the warranty.

It's so obvious that the repair people sent out by the Home Warranty Companies favor the Warranty Companies. They turn down many of the legitimate complaint. I'm sure the repair people get a Big PayDay from those Warranty Companies. The homeowners should be able to choose their own repair people.You have to keep following up - with the people in management. 

I think the warranty company deals with whoever will do the job for the least amount of money.

Respected Contributor

All just smoke and mirrors. Scams. Start your own emergency repair savings account and when needed negotiate fix price with at least 3 repair persons. Unbelievable the difference you can get in the cost of a job. Be smart.