Respected Contributor

Re: So Upset With My Home Warranty

When we purchased the house we now live in, I read over a couple home warranties with a fine tooth comb.  What I found was that sure, the garage door is covered....but only this and these parts and not what generally breaks...like the motor.  We have a sub zero fridge and dacor double ovens and stove....not covered.  Higher end or restaurant quality appliances are not covered.  The list goes on and on...for the pool, water heater, etc.  It would of cost $1000/year for the home warranty.  It wasn't worth it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sapphiregal wrote:

I had a water leak in my refrigerator. Water pouring onto the floor. So, called my home warranty service to file a claim for repair. Within an hour, I receive a text message letting me know that they have denied the claim. I am shocked, so,I call and speak to a claims rep. I am told that they denied it because what is happening is condensation. Well, my husband and I both know that is not the problem. I asked how they could make that determination without even sending someone out to look at. We argued a lot and they just kept insisting condensation.

So,we call a repairman and they conclude that the filter housing needs to be replaced. So, I call the home warranty company again to tell them and ask if they will reimburse for the repairs if I send copy of billing statement. Their response is that they cannot do that since the claim has been closed . If this is the way they circumvent having to repair anything for their customers, they are thieves.

On Select Home Warranty's website - does it list exclusions (do u have paperwork that shows what's covered?) You should also check out consumeraffairs dot com - see if there's a form for u to fill out. I did that many years ago and they followed up quickly. Also, google the company's name and read the reviews/complaints. Email the president or executive of the company to get results. Ask why ur refrigerator isn't covered.

Valued Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@Sapphiregal wrote:

I had a water leak in my refrigerator. Water pouring onto the floor. So, called my home warranty service to file a claim for repair. Within an hour, I receive a text message letting me know that they have denied the claim. I am shocked, so,I call and speak to a claims rep. I am told that they denied it because what is happening is condensation. Well, my husband and I both know that is not the problem. I asked how they could make that determination without even sending someone out to look at. We argued a lot and they just kept insisting condensation.

So,we call a repairman and they conclude that the filter housing needs to be replaced. So, I call the home warranty company again to tell them and ask if they will reimburse for the repairs if I send copy of billing statement. Their response is that they cannot do that since the claim has been closed . If this is the way they circumvent having to repair anything for their customers, they are thieves.

On Select Home Warranty's website - does it list exclusions (do u have paperwork that shows what's covered?) You should also check out consumeraffairs dot com - see if there's a form for u to fill out. I did that many years ago and they followed up quickly. Also, google the company's name and read the reviews/complaints. Email the president or executive of the company to get results. Ask why ur refrigerator isn't covered.

@kivah 

My contract with them lists all items that are covered and any exclusions. So, yes, the problem with my refrigerator is covered. The problem is that Select Warranty decided on their own, without even sending anyone out to check it out, that the problem was condensation. So, the actual problem, which a repairman we called discovered, is the filter housing - that is something they would have covered had they not automatically jumped to the conclusion of condensation. However, because they had already denied and closed the case, they tell me there is nothing they can do about it.

Also, I did read reviews on this company before I decided to purchase the contract through them. Reviews are good and they are rated #2 in the nation.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Esteemed Contributor

@Sapphiregal wrote:

@kivah wrote:

@Sapphiregal wrote:

@kivah 

My contract with them lists all items that are covered and any exclusions. So, yes, the problem with my refrigerator is covered. The problem is that Select Warranty decided on their own, without even sending anyone out to check it out, that the problem was condensation. So, the actual problem, which a repairman we called discovered, is the filter housing - that is something they would have covered had they not automatically jumped to the conclusion of condensation. However, because they had already denied and closed the case, they tell me there is nothing they can do about it.

Also, I did read reviews on this company before I decided to purchase the contract through them. Reviews are good and they are rated #2 in the nation.

Then u need to email or call the President or someone in administration. I had a problem with a local hospital years ago - they overcharged me for a minor issue. I called their payroll dept for a credit - and they wouldn't do it. I found the name of the president of the hospital on-line and I sent him a certified letter. A few days later, he waived $4,000.

Respected Contributor

When I sold my condo, the real estate agent told me I had to offer the buyers a home warranty. I searched the Internet for information and saw that many of these companies  are fraudulent re. customer claims. 

I declined to offer it, but in the end I had to pay for it anyhow in order to sell the condo. So many scams abound.

Respected Contributor

@Sapphiregal Call and ask to speak with a supervisor.  We've had a home warranty for over 20 years on our home.  Sometimes they make a mistake.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I would never get either a home warranty or car warranty. The money they charge in premiums could be stashed away for a home or car emergency (if needed).  I think there are too many stipulations to getting those warranty programs to pay out. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I bought this house 15 years ago, the sale came with a 1 year warranty (I think it was with AHS, but not sure anymore).  I think it had a $50-$60 deductible that I had to pay. 

I didn't have hot water to the kitchen sink & it turned out that the pipes to  the faucet had been hooked up backwards, so to get hot water, you had to push the lever to the right, instead of the left like in every other house I'd owned in my life.  The rest of the faucets in the bathrooms were fine, just the kitchen was backwards.  It didn't help that the pipes are under the slab & it takes 5 minutes to get hot water even when the lever is turned to the hot side. When I go to take a shower, I turn the water on & brush my teeth at the sink until the shower water comes out hot.  It's wasteful, but I've gotten used to it. 

The plumber the home warranty place sent thought the kitchen faucet was hooked up just fine & there was nothing wrong with it!  I think the warranty places don't deal with the best repair folks.  When the AC broke, the repair guy told me I should just buy a new system (the house was only 3 years old).   My realtor ended up covering the deductible for the kitchen faucet fix, since this should have been caught & fixed during the home inspection.

At the end of that first year, I didn't renew the warranty.

Honored Contributor

@Sapphiregal ..............Yes that is exactly what it is theft.

They know that pursuing the matter, filing a claim in court would most likely cost more than the repair did.  So they are counting on you and many other policy holders to do nothing while they are salivating all the way to the bank.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I don't know.

My mother used her home warranty so many times. There was none of this nonsense. I'm sorry I forgot the company.

And I used my car warranty with hyundai (the best warranties ever!) many times! I would never have been able to afford all the repairs needed without it.

I now have a new used car and new warranty from a different company so I hope I will be feeling the same about it down the road.

These are not good stories here re warranties. Awful that anyone should have to deal with this and I agree, it is a form of corruption!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"