Respected Contributor

Re: So Upset With My Home Warranty

@Sapphiregal not a fan of home warranty companies....never bought one because most of my friends who did got taken and said never again.  

Honored Contributor

We have come to feel the same way about extended warranties on appliances. The fine print can get you in the end.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Home warranties are a huge waste of money, imho.

One of the biggest cons going.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Valued Contributor

I've read each and every reply. Some great suggestions. I am not giving up on this and li!e a few have mentioned, I, too, am a detail person. I notate every conversation with details. However, I am leaning in the direction of several of you who said that these sort of companies are just out to rip you off. I think you are onto something. My kind of luck, though, if I don't renew my coverage, that will be the very year some major thing (like my air conditioner!) goes out and has to be replaced. LOL!!!😁😁😁

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Respected Contributor

That seems odd they would do it that way, and I would have just reopened another claim.

I will never be without a home warranty on our house.  It's older and the appliances and such are older.  Our realtor paid for our warranty for the first year because our furnace is ancient, and we have kept it up since.  The first year our 80 gallon water heater went out and we got a brand new one for the small cost of $65 (it was something like $1200 wholesale). They have repaired numerous pipe leaks, shower leaks behind walls, replaced the electrical panel in the dishwasher, fixed the washer and dryer. We joke with our plumbers that they have their own parking spot at the house.

Home warranty saves us a LOT of money.

Honored Contributor

I never buy any kind of warranties - home, car, appliance, etc.  I think they are a waste of money.  When I sold a house in California many years ago I did supply a home warranty for a year.  I think it ran about $140.  

Honored Contributor

One exception I can report ..... my sister always buys pre-owned cars from the dealership, and gets an extended warranty.  She says it has paid for itself every single time.  

Honored Contributor

After watching many, many episodes of Holmes on Homes which is based in Canada where apparently Home Warranties are a requirement, I came to the conclusion that even there they were worthless and I would never have one.  

Trusted Contributor

Yep, I've had my own experiences with home warranties, and have heard many stories from others. I'd say the ratio of satisfied to dissatisfied is about 1:9. It's like insurance; they don't make money from paying claims.

Respected Contributor

Home warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on. In all the homes we have bought and sold, I never offered a potential  buyer one as an incentive and never bought one for our new home.  They just are not worth anything.