Respected Contributor

Re: So Tired Of High Cable Costs

@Sapphiregal I LOVE TV, but I got tired of cable raising the rates constantly.

The only thing I truly miss is the DVR function.

If you have a newer tv you have the apps on it or can add the apps to it, or get a Roku or Firestick device (You just plug them into the back of your tv like you plug in a USB to your computer.)

I do pay $74.99 a month for my internet service, but I would be paying that anyway.

I have an antenna on my roof that basically gets me ABC & channels from the 60's. I can watch Leave It To Beaver or Gunsmoke any time I want. 

I pay $13.93 a month for Hulu with no commercials (I also get ESPN with that, but I have never used it.).

I pay $7.51 for Disney (I share these accounts with my son.).

I scam off of my daughter's Netflix account. 

I have Amazon Prime which costs $109 a year.

So I have plenty of entertainment. It's kind of a hassle. I have no DVR. 

You have no idea how much bad tv is out there!

Esteemed Contributor

I get a bundled bill from Spectrum every month. It costs more than my first mortgage. I suppose I should call it a bungled bill. I was added to one daughter's Netflix account and another daughter's Prime account. I've been enjoying both a great deal. My husband's Alzheimer's makes streaming-only impossible. Even cable has become a challenge for him. For now I'm stuck, but I hope I live to see the day when cable TV becomes obsolete.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@Sapphiregal I LOVE TV, but I got tired of cable raising the rates constantly.

The only thing I truly miss is the DVR function.

If you have a newer tv you have the apps on it or can add the apps to it, or get a Roku or Firestick device (You just plug them into the back of your tv like you plug in a USB to your computer.)

I do pay $74.99 a month for my internet service, but I would be paying that anyway.

I have an antenna on my roof that basically gets me ABC & channels from the 60's. I can watch Leave It To Beaver or Gunsmoke any time I want. 

I pay $13.93 a month for Hulu with no commercials (I also get ESPN with that, but I have never used it.).

I pay $7.51 for Disney (I share these accounts with my son.).

I scam off of my daughter's Netflix account. 

I have Amazon Prime which costs $109 a year.

So I have plenty of entertainment. It's kind of a hassle. I have no DVR. 

You have no idea how much bad tv is out there!

@Dusty1

You do not have a Disney+ bundle for $13.99 with Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN+. 

Respected Contributor

You pay $155/mo to watch FOX news?

Actually the people I know that watch FOX news have it on 24/7 so maybe a good deal?

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg That is what I have, but I pay the extra because of "no commercials".

Which, again, they lie to you. There are commercials that play before & after certain shows, but not all through the middle.

That is why my bundle is $21.44.

Respected Contributor

I can't get rid of cable because my husband's favorite shows are not in a streaming bundle. Besides he loves to click through all the channels - you can't do that with streaming. However I think the cost is reasonable. We have every channel tier that Cox offers, our landline phone, our high speed internet and every single premium channel (HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax) for $153/month. Then we have Prime, Acorn, Britbox, PBS Passport and Paramount+. Comes out to little over $200 per month and we have everything we could possibly want to watch. It's our main entertainment so it's worth it.

The shows we watch together at night are all streaming - I'm in charge of the Roku.😊

Trusted Contributor

In November we dumped cable. Put Firesticks on all TVs and now have everything we want on YOUTUBE TV. (We also have Amazon Prime and Netflix, but we had those before we dumped cable.) But just going from cable to YOUTUBE TV we cut that bill in half! Smiley Happy

-Solar Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@froggy   WOW!!  Cox is my provider too (Phx) and I got what I thought was a great deal with them last summer.  Not the top tier you're describing; however, I have Contour and they added some channels, like all the HBO's, as part of the deal.  It was $167/mo. for cable and hi-speed internet.  That rate was offered to me FOR 2 YEARS!!

Well, lo and behold, I got my latest email statement, and they included a letter saying their costs were going up (blah,blah,blah it's the same letter I get every years) and my monthly cable bill would now be $179!!!

I am waiting until next Wed to call their retention crew (I'm a loyal customer for over 20 years) and see how they can get my monthly bill to revert to the $167. they offered.

I'm waiting for that date because I know their best deals occur at the beginning of the month and I read it's best to call in the middle of the week.

It's difficult to express my exasperation, irritation and frustration at Cox that I have to go through this "let's make a deal" song-and-dance with them AGAIN when I thought I was done with "negotiations" for 2 YEARS!!

Respected Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@froggy   WOW!!  Cox is my provider too (Phx) and I got what I thought was a great deal with them last summer.  Not the top tier you're describing; however, I have Contour and they added some channels, like all the HBO's, as part of the deal.  It was $167/mo. for cable and hi-speed internet.  That rate was offered to me FOR 2 YEARS!!

Well, lo and behold, I got my latest email statement, and they included a letter saying their costs were going up (blah,blah,blah it's the same letter I get every years) and my monthly cable bill would now be $179!!!

I am waiting until next Wed to call their retention crew (I'm a loyal customer for over 20 years) and see how they can get my monthly bill to revert to the $167. they offered.

I'm waiting for that date because I know their best deals occur at the beginning of the month and I read it's best to call in the middle of the week.

It's difficult to express my exasperation, irritation and frustration at Cox that I have to go through this "let's make a deal" song-and-dance with them AGAIN when I thought I was done with "negotiations" for 2 YEARS!!

@pdlinda My rate is supposed to go up $20 after one year - I've had it for about 6 months now. I just happened to go to Cox online and found this offer - of course no one told me about it voluntarily. I'm not going to complain about the extra 20 because before this offer I was paying a total of $225. Lesson learned - keep looking for new offers.

Trusted Contributor

@froggy  To put things in a bit of context:  When I made the deal with Cox last summer, they told me they had an entirely NEW PRICING STRUCTURE.  They insisted that instead of me having to "wheel and deal" every year for a bundle rate their NEW approach was to only charge for "services I use" as a flat rate. 

They said regardless of any price increases charged to Cox by the providers, that rate was "set in stone."

They told me that even when the 2 yr deal expired I should call and with my long perfect payment history, I would be "taken care of" and the $167 would be renewed. 

Now, it seems that was simply a "sales pitch" because it's clear that what they told me was "set in stone" is obviously not so!  

I have no interest in giving up cable because I don't watch live TV and DVR everything so I can FF through the banks of commercials.

I'm getting my box of tissues ready to give them a real "sob story" and hope it does some good to hold them to their word.   The saga continues....