Honored Contributor

Re: So Over Celebrities in General....

[ Edited ]

@LyndaGee wrote:

Celebrities have First Amendment rights, too.  Have to admit, I do take note of those I agree with and those I don't.

Now why in the world did you have to get all honest and everything, @LyndaGee :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

I have always enjoyed movies and many TV shows.  There were and are numerous actors and actresses who entertain and are talented.  They bring us laughter, drama and escape from the stress of daily life. I am not sick of them because they have always been visible and popular as that is their career.  I am not involved in their personal lives as far as reading about them or following their views.  They are entitled just as we all are.and if they do so in a professional and sincere manner, what's the harm.  No one has to follow their lead because they are celebrities.

So many celebrities donate to charitable organizations, all different causes.  Yes, they have the money to do so but they help others and so many are animal advocates. I respect that and am glad they do have the means to give and be charitable.  I am too but can only donate what I can afford.  It's all good!

I'm sure over the years the publicity for the celebrities has been a part of their careers, the more they are in the public's eye, they are known and have followings.  

In my opinion there are far more people  who who should not be saying anything than celebrities.

@spiderw, something tells me that you and I would very much enjoy a little chat over coffee. Heart

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Yes, and the minister doing the eulogy called him Nipsy Russell....the late comedian......smh

The minister doing the eulogy should have the INTELLIGENCE to get his name right. Apparently, he's NOT VERY bright.

Trusted Contributor

I totally avoid anything having to do with a celebrity.  I have less than zero interest in  their lives, what they eat, drink, think,  where they live, whom they hang out with, what they wear, where they travel blah blah blah.  They are totally irrelevant in my life and I am glad for that.    

Valued Contributor

@IamDoodles wrote:

I totally avoid anything having to do with a celebrity.  I have less than zero interest in  their lives, what they eat, drink, think,  where they live, whom they hang out with, what they wear, where they travel blah blah blah.  They are totally irrelevant in my life and I am glad for that.    

SAME HERE. Celebrities are TOTALLY IRRELEVANT in my world also. Actors and actresses are BORING and NARCISSITIC. Their political views and what they have, etc. mean NOTHING to me. DITTO for the ROYALS.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Just because of their method of living doesn’t mean they give up their rights as a human being and American citizen (assume we’re discussing Americans) 

Im sick of politics and people who have different political opinions than I do. Sick of it! But.... they are allowed. It is America after all. One person doesn’t have more rights than another. And everyone is entitled to their opinion. At least I hope so.

As for one person not having more rights than another, sadly some of the rich and famous think they do.  And yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but not so much on these boards anymore.  Woman LOL

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

In my youth, I loved reading "movie magazines" -- like "Modern Screen", etc.  Now I have no interest in  the celebrities--not their lives, their political views, where they eat, where they travel, etc.  I am so tired of QVC and other programs pushing items that are "a favorite of 'Oprah' which is just another sales tactic.   I quit watching the awards shows ( which I never missed years ago) because I no longer know anyone who presents or receives awards.

I used to watch TMZ every morning, I subscribed to People Magazine for years, not anymore.  I don't recognize most of the people, don't have a clue who they are and I agree, as for the presenters at the awards shows, who are they?  Now I will watch the Country Music Award shows, I recognize most of them.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

@ChancesMom  You and me both. I make a point to never purchase anything by “celebrities” with the exception of Joan Rivers. Since her passing, and David Dangle taking over her line, I’ve not purchased anything of Joan Rivers. All David Dangle seems to know are “Boyfriend shirts” and casuals. He has nothing that is stylish and classic that Joan had on Q. I purchased so many of her items and, to this day, always get compliments when wearing her clothes. Now, to me, her line is pathetic and at the bottom of all Q’s clothing options. JMO

No to Catherine Zeta Jones, Lisa Rinna, or Martha Stewart (she really has nothing I care for anyway, so no loss there.)

I love Renee of Women with Control, Susan G, and a lot of others, but a big no to any celebs.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@manhattan1950 wrote:

@IamDoodles wrote:

SAME HERE. Celebrities are TOTALLY IRRELEVANT in my world also. Actors and actresses are BORING and NARCISSITIC. Their political views and what they have, etc. mean NOTHING to me. DITTO for the ROYALS.

@manhattan1950  @IamDoodles   Totally agree with everything you both have mentioned. As soon as a “celebrity” gets politicaI, it changes my whole opinion of them. I’ve even stopped watching/purchasing anything by Isaac Mizrahi for that very reason. His clothes, IMO, are hideous at best. I did purchase a couple of cute suede flats in navy and burgundy before he decided to rant his political views, and I admit, they’re really nice. Even SK won’t wear his clothing when hosting his shows. No makeup either like “Becca” which is a Kardashian product; a huge no thanks to that brand. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Valued Contributor

I remember my mother reading movie magazines when I was a kid. Mom was a housewife with 5 kids, no car, and was home all day cleaning, taking care of us and cooking,

I think women back then read about the stars because compared to a housewife, their lives were so exciting, Movie stars for the most part did not have the "voices" they have today. Sure, they had scandals like extramarital affairs but to be honest, for example, gay actors had to cover it up so of course no one talked about those things,

today, everything is talked about, open, discussed, and this IMO creates the platform that people don't want to hear about. There are going to be those who agree with celebrities and those who don't. To talk the talk but not walk the walk causes anger. To say for instance you believe in immigrants sneaking into this country but then to live in a gated, multi-million dollar house and community where it isn't going to affect you (no one is going to put a tent outside their house for instance) makes a lot of them hypocrites and causes you to ask why they have so much influence by speaking up when they can't or won't ever relate to this,

And not to take this subject in a different direction, but I do think a lot of celebrities do that, speak up for certaiin things that in the end have no bearing on their lives.