Regular Contributor

So Now There Is A Shortage Of

Hellman's tartar sauce.  I went to 7 stores and even looked on Amazon.  Not a jar anywhere.  There are other brands but no Hellman's.  I googled it and apparently there is a caper shortage.  Also said the price will sky rocket.

Honored Contributor

Re: So Now There Is A Shortage Of

I dont believe for a minute there is a shortage of anything.

Its the excuse companies use when they are going to raise the price of their products.  Its started several years ago with Velveeta Cheese and now a "shortage" is used for an excuse for anything that companies want to stick it to the American Consumer.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

It's so easy to make your own, mayo, white vinegar, relish and finely minced onion.  

And it tastes better too!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I dont believe for a minute there is a shortage of anything.

Its the excuse companies use when they are going to raise the price of their products.  Its started several years ago with Velveeta Cheese and now a "shortage" is used for an excuse for anything that companies want to stick it to the American Consumer.

@Imaoldhippie 

NOT trying to detour the thread, but there's DEFINITELY a shortage of common sense in this country.  Don't they teach ANYTHING in school anymore? 

I recently came across a couple of employed young adults that wouldn't have the sense to come in from the rain.  yikes!     

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 ...I agree 100 percent

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Scooty wrote:

Hellman's tartar sauce.  I went to 7 stores and even looked on Amazon.  Not a jar anywhere.  There are other brands but no Hellman's.  I googled it and apparently there is a caper shortage.  Also said the price will sky rocket.

mayo and pickle relish = tartar sauce

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

It's so easy to make your own, mayo, white vinegar, relish and finely minced onion.  

And it tastes better too!

I agree.  But if I were to purchase it ready-made, I prefer the McCormick brand.

Honored Contributor

@Scooty wrote:

@ScootyI do not see capers listed as an ingredient in Hellmann's Tartar Sauce.

There has been a decline in caper production but from what I have seen there was a surplus prior to the pandemic.

I found  non-pareil capers a few months ago.

As far as the tartar sauce, though, and any other food ingredient/product-many people had to "make do" cooking at home.

Any company can raise prices but it seems to be a pandemic in its own right lately.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Scooty wrote:

@Scooty @It is not for sale anymore on Hellman's US site but it is for sale from Canadian and Australian sites, including Amazon in Canada. It might be discontinued. Just buy Hellman's Mayonaide and buy a brand of relish that has ingredients similar to what Hellman's  ingredients were. Just add a TBL or two to the mayo. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

From Hellman's website. This is their recipe for tartar sauce. 

7111BC4C-D21C-4885-80E3-0BA08FFEAB9A.jpeg