Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: So Now There Is A Shortage Of

@Cakers3 wrote:

That is a recipe for home-made and the capers are optional.

The capers are not part of the original Hellmann's tartar sauce.

@Cakers3 @They are. I got the ingredients listing for it and capers were part of it.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I dont believe for a minute there is a shortage of anything.

Its the excuse companies use when they are going to raise the price of their products.  Its started several years ago with Velveeta Cheese and now a "shortage" is used for an excuse for anything that companies want to stick it to the American Consumer.

@Imaoldhippie 

NOT trying to detour the thread, but there's DEFINITELY a shortage of common sense in this country.  Don't they teach ANYTHING in school anymore? 

I recently came across a couple of employed young adults that wouldn't have the sense to come in from the rain.  yikes!     

@Tinkrbl44  That's up to the parents not teachers. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Cakers3 @They are. I got the ingredients listing for it and capers were part of it.

@Mindy D   From Hellmann's website:

Water, sweet pickle relish (cucumber, distilled vinegar, sugar, dextrose, salt, xanthan gum, mustard seed, natural flavor, curry powder), soybean oil, sugar, dijon mustard (water, mustard seed, vinegar, salt, white wine, citric acid, tartaric acid, spices), liquid whole egg, modified corn starch, distilled vinegar, salt, dehydrated onion, modified potato starch, liquid egg yolk, canola oil, concentrated lemon juice concentrate, spice, natural flavour, natural colour, sorbic acid, and calcium disodium edta (used to protect quality). Contains: mustard

You are posting a recipe to make one's own Hellmann's style tartar sauce with Hellmann's mayo and, again, capers are optional.

The OP stated Hellmann's tartar sauce cannot be found because of the shortage of capers and that is incorrect.

Gads.  This is getting to be worse than the crock pot debate.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Mindy D   From Hellmann's website:

Water, sweet pickle relish (cucumber, distilled vinegar, sugar, dextrose, salt, xanthan gum, mustard seed, natural flavor, curry powder), soybean oil, sugar, dijon mustard (water, mustard seed, vinegar, salt, white wine, citric acid, tartaric acid, spices), liquid whole egg, modified corn starch, distilled vinegar, salt, dehydrated onion, modified potato starch, liquid egg yolk, canola oil, concentrated lemon juice concentrate, spice, natural flavour, natural colour, sorbic acid, and calcium disodium edta (used to protect quality). Contains: mustard

You are posting a recipe to make one's own Hellmann's style tartar sauce with Hellmann's mayo and, again, capers are optional.

The OP stated Hellmann's tartar sauce cannot be found because of the shortage of capers and that is incorrect.

Gads.  This is getting to be worse than the crock pot debate.

@Cakers3 @This recipe comes from Hellman's website. Hellman's is  not making tartar sauce in the US. The recipe has nothing to do with the OP's assumption that there was a caper shortage. 

Honored Contributor

It's not necessarily the crock pot, it's primarily the stuff people dump into it and call it dinner.

Honored Contributor

dijonaise is easy to make.....equal parts grainy dijon mustard and mayo.

for tartar sauce, i always ask our favorite seafood restaurant to give me a small container or two of it to take home with my leftovers and they dont charge me for it......they make a great tartar sauce and always give me plenty.

the best jarred tartar sauces i have found is by stonewall kitchen and kelchners.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I am firmly in the Hellmans Mayo camp but I've always liked CAINS Tarter sauce better.  I recently discovered Trader Joes  has a good tarter sauce too.  I can do fine without thier Trater sauce but if they stopped making the MAYO I'd be sad.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D 

I have thought about trying to mix up some of my own but have yet to experiment with it.  I am thinking a bit of Dijon in Mayo but am not sure what else to add.  I sometimes use both Mayo and Dijon on a sandwich.  

Dern that Hellman's.........😩😩😩

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

Thanks for posting that.  I prefer dill pickles but with that change I am going to make it!

Honored Contributor

@Scooty wrote:

Hellman's tartar sauce.  I went to 7 stores and even looked on Amazon.  Not a jar anywhere.  There are other brands but no Hellman's.  I googled it and apparently there is a caper shortage.  Also said the price will sky rocket.

@Scooty 

I somewhat agree, but! People have to go to work to manufacture products and anyone that follows the news should be aware of "help wanted" signs all over the country. Will leave out my opinion of the "whys" .

This shortage includes truck drivers that move much of our products around the country. Familiar with the brand, but not sure it is made in our country. Have never bought it.

Raising prices for shortages started decades ago. The 1st that comes to my mind is the "peanut shortage". Prices shot up and like many "temporary anything", they usually stay up. Have paid many "temporary" city taxes that were put in back in the 1960's.

Guess I am not one that wants a certain brand of food bad enough to spend my gas driving to 7 different retail businesses to find it.

Now natural gas/fuel and electricity? It has gone up exponentially here, and because of certain reasons, I don't see it coming down any time in the next few years, or longer. Dependency on other countries for the most used source of energy? More $$$ out of our pockets.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)