Honored Contributor

So My Neighbor Just Got back from vacation.

My next door neighbor is a dear friend of mine.  We've been good friends since the day she moved in.

So, finally, after many years she and her husband took a vacation.  Where'd they go?  Well, back to where they were born....El Salvador.  Their relatives travel there all of the time.  They were going to go to a resort; but opted for El Salvador.

They had a wonderful time.  They weren't robbed; nor did they worry for their safety.  They traveled (her husband drove) around the countryside, city, everywhere.

She hadn't been back in many years.  She'd been here in the US since the early 80's.  She said she was nervous because of what she'd read and heard on the news.

So.....in fact....she and her husband are going back in November.

She said she met several families who were vacationing there also.  She said the cost of living is a lot cheaper and that's why people are retiring there from the U.S.  Yepper, retiring there.

This isn't the first time we've seen this.  Vietnam is now a place people go for vacations.

When she goes back in November, she's going to go house hunting.  She said she can retire in a few years and they'll probably go back there to live.

Most people don't know anyone who travels back and forth to these countries.  I have several friends that travel to other countries.  They were born in these countries and love it here, but they also love their homeland.

I know there are bad areas everywhere.  I live minutes from D.C. 

Like I always say, "There are two sides to everything."

Honored Contributor

Re: So My Neighbor Just Got back from vacation.

I have vacationed in Vietnam and always felt safe there...went to  China too.  What's wrong with Vietnam?

El Salvador...no way. It's called the murder capital of the world for a reason.  Way too much violence.  There are many refugees from there at our borders, waiting entrance to the USA.  

I am aure they have many, many beautiful beaches and safe areas, but no thanks. I'll take my chances somewhere else.

Honored Contributor

There's nothing wrong with Vietnam, nothing.  The young woman who's done my pedicures for probably 15 years just got back from there.  Her husband is dying of brain cancer and she wanted him (and their children) to see where their parents were born, etc.

You totally missed what I was trying to convey.  But I'm not going into it now.

How could you get what I said that there was something wrong with any of the countries I mentioned?

Giving the benefit if doubt I will say I'm very guilty of misreading posts to, so I'll chalk it up to that.  

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66. If your neighbors are planning to retire and live in Columbia, tell them to check with Social Security first.  I've heard residing in a foreign country can affect benefits.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Annabellethecat66. If your neighbors are planning to retire and live in Columbia, tell them to check with Social Security first.  I've heard residing in a foreign country can affect benefits.

You’re right, @Kachina624  that SS benefits might be affected. Also, Medicare only covers illness and injuries occurring  in the 50 states. No claims for treatment in any countries outside of the USA are honored by Medicare. That means private health insurance would be required. 

If the standard of living in El Salvador will enable your neighbors to live more cheaply and stretch their retirement dollars, @Annabellethecat66 , it will also decrease their quality of medical care, reduce availability of many common drugs, and remove the benefits of health coverage from Medicare. 

So El Salvador is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

"If you are a U.S. citizen, you are able to continue to collect retirement, disability, or survivors' benefits while overseas as long as you are eligible to receive them. However, benefit payments cannot be made to certain countries, such as Cuba, Ukraine, North Korea, and Vietnam. In most cases, if you reside in a country that restricts benefit payments, all withheld benefits are returned to you once you enter a country where payments can be sent."  -from SS website
“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

The thing is, your neighbors are native to their homeland. Returning "home" so to speak.

Big difference in Americans traveling abroad. Most people assume the world lives like us in the US. The world does not.

You are not entitled to Miranda rights, stop and frisk or bail if detained or jailed. You may not be allowed to purchase/own land in some nations. If you are allowed to purchase property, in many countries it's an all cash deal. 

Not only is Medicare not accepted, if you have private insurance that's likely worthless, too. You may be taxed in two countries in retirement unless you give up citizenship in one.

I had coworkers who went to China to work. You are restricted to where you live and which schools your children attend. The only other people in your neighborhood are non-Chinese.

Many places in the world are not welcoming to Americans.

Esteemed Contributor

@mom2four0418, most people who live where they can not receive their benefits directly usually have a US account where SS or whatever is deposited and then have a family forward the payments to them monthly.

Also most of them would come back every 6 months to the US for medical checkups.

My parents retired to the Carribbean and were able to receive their payments directly from SS, but Medical Care there is not the best so they were able to come here for their checkups.

Trusted Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@mom2four0418, most people who live where they can not receive their benefits directly usually have a US account where SS or whatever is deposited and then have a family forward the payments to them monthly.

Also most of them would come back every 6 months to the US for medical checkups.

My parents retired to the Carribbean and were able to receive their payments directly from SS, but Medical Care there is not the best so they were able to come here for their checkups.

@Sage04 

But what do you do if/when you become too ill or elderly to travel to the US for medical care/treatment? 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66   I was wondering to myself why anything would even mention Vietnam and that people go there for vacation.  Seems like a normal place to vacation to me.

Keep on posting.  I enjoy your posts and I am sure others do too.  Don't mind me, I wish you no harm...sometimes I get lost in thought.