Honored Contributor

Re: So Much for the Influenza Vaccine

My husband and I ,and my sibs, all had the senior shot. So far we are all ok

Respected Contributor

Thanks, @hoosieroriginal.  I do remember seeing those ads now.  I had the pneumonia vaccine about five years ago and had an awful reaction to it.  Not enough for hospitalization, thankfully. 

I hope everyone who is sick feels better soon.

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

@Pandalady wrote:

Thanks, @hoosieroriginal.  I do remember seeing those ads now.  I had the pneumonia vaccine about five years ago and had an awful reaction to it.  Not enough for hospitalization, thankfully. 

I hope everyone who is sick feels better soon.

@Pandalady  I had the pneumonia shot last year and ended up in the hospital for days, also. 

This year my doctor told me to get the regular flu shot not the super dose.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Four, maybe five, people have died in WA state this flu season.  Chances of getting flu are far greater without the vaccine.  

Is this fact written up anywhere? I have never had the vaccine and have never had the flu

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@tansy wrote:

Four, maybe five, people have died in WA state this flu season.  Chances of getting flu are far greater without the vaccine.  

Is this fact written up anywhere? I have never had the vaccine and have never had the flu

I saw it on King 5's homepage, among other sites, @SeaMaiden.  

http://www.king5.com/news/local/five-flu-deaths-in-washington-this-season/380568747

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree that a flu shot is not foolproof guaranteed protection against influenza.   Most often, the flu strain that makes you sick is one not covered by the yearly vaccine.  

If your case of influenza was typed, and found to be one that was indeed expected to be covered under this years vaccine, then I would be cautious with exposure thinking that perhaps your overall immunity is not as strong as it once was.    

The bad cough and lack of strength stems from the effect of the virus on your lungs.   Do not be surprised if your cough lingers for months.  My youngest daughter was the first hospital employee to test positive for swine flu several years ago.   Her cough continues to this day, and is caused by asthma; lung damage from swine flu.   She did not have asthma before the flu.

Here in WV, we are urged to get flu shots in October, and see the majority of influenza cases in January and February.   One year we had a late outbreak of influenza in April, and many of those patients had taken flu shots in August and September; medical opinion was that their protection was weakening after nearly 8 months.   

Best wishes as you recover.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I am so sorry this happened to you.  I have never had the flu, but I know it's not fun.

I recently took a family member to the eye doctor because she could not see well at all.  She had a cornea transplant 6 years ago.  She is now scheduled for another one in two weeks.

Her doctor asked her if she got a flu shot recently and she did.  He said the flu vaccine ruined her transplanted cornea.   He advised her to call him for eye drops next year before she gets the flu shot so he will not ruin her new cornea.

I never heard of such a thing and wonder why she wasn't told this before.  

I think there are anti-rejection drops for this.

The doctor said the transplanted cornea wasn't rejected and was a perfect match.  The flu vaccine just ruined the cornea.  There are eye drops to protect the cornea from the flu vaccine.  It must be used four times a day.  We now know for next year.

i hope the new cornea is a perfect match too.  It is shameful that her transplanted was ruined.

Honored Contributor

Sorry you are so sick, I know how awful that is but you are misinformed.  The flu vaccine does not and never has protected us against all strains of the flu.  I believe there are about 100 strains, perhaps more.  Every year the vaccine is formulated to protect agains the strains that they assume will be most prevelant.  Sometimes they get it wrong, like in 2015 and sometimes, a person who gets vaccinated but manages to come down with different strain of the flu.  It's not common but it does happen.  Prenar 13 protects agains pneumococcal pneumonia which is bacterial pneumonia and the most common.  But there are other bacterial pneumonias. 

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@tansy wrote:

http://www.king5.com/news/local/five-flu-deaths-in-washington-this-season/380568747

@tansy

according to Web MD............5% to 20% -- Percentage of the U.S. population that will get the flu, on average, each year

based on those percentages.........I don't see the point in taking the risk of getting the shot, especially if you have had a bad reaction to past shots.........or wanting to add a drug to my body, to maybe protect me from getting something, that I only have an 80% chance of getting.............................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@tansy

according to Web MD............5% to 20% -- Percentage of the U.S. population that will get the flu, on average, each year

based on those percentages.........I don't see the point in taking the risk of getting the shot, especially if you have had a bad reaction to past shots.........or wanting to add a drug to my body, to maybe protect me from getting something, that I only have an 80% chance of getting.............................raven

In the hospital where I worked, the shot is mandatory for all employees.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan