Esteemed Contributor

Re: So, I went on my first ocean cruise

Favorite way to travel.  I am spoiled and THEY help with everything that I could ever desire in the time I am aboard and on shore.  

Honored Contributor

@petepetey 

So glad you had a good time.

I do love cruising!  My favorite are river cruises.  

Fewer people, much simpler to get off and on, quieter, can see many of the country's sights while rolling down the river.

Rollin' rollin' rollin' on the river.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I would love to do a Viking River Cruise. Have been on Royal Caribbean and Norwegian...am not a great fan of cruising but think the river cruises would be fun. Royal Caribbean was unfortunately a party boat..but not advertised that way...lots of drinking and noise...a much younger crowd...couldn’t wait to get off! Norwegian was much better and had better accommodations. I think it depends mainly on which ship you choose.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always thought that inside passage trip would be spectacular...guess you have to make sure that’s the route they are taking...good to know!

Occasional Contributor

I love to cruise and have been cruising on a regular basis since 2003! I am going in October on another River Cruise out of Venice!........I think I have nearly 50 Ocean Cruises and this will be my 2nd River Cruise.  Cruising is the only way I vacation.

I LOVE IT........you unpack once and don't have to worry about anything. Guess I am

in the lucky group, I never get sea sick. 

Honored Contributor

I really enjoyed my cruise on the Royal Caribbean line and hope to book another soon.  

Regular Contributor

The real question: Can you feel the movement on the water or is it like dry land?

Esteemed Contributor

@ULY : I have cruised a lot and there is no definitive answer to motion question.  Usually you will feel a little motion but you can still wear heels.

Respected Contributor

I love to cruise. It is a great way to vacation.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@petepetey Wow!  You did it in style!  I've been on several cruises.  I've seen the Viking cruises advertised and my daughter's mother-in-law is always trying to get me to take Viking.

I'm very outgoing and she keeps telling me if I went alone I'd have a lot of fun.

I know I would.  I can talk to anyone about anything.  But my point is there wouldn't be anyone to say to:  "Do you remember when we did this or that"?

I'm a widow and my late husband and I used to talk about things we did together in our 38 years together.  All of you widows know what I'm talking about.

I loved going on cruises.  So daughter's mother-in-law and father-in-law have cruised around the world at least 3 times and been everywhere in the world so many times even they've lost count.

Right now they are with my grandson in Japan.  They took him on a 3 week cruise a few weeks ago.  They take every grandchild (they have 10, I have 8) on a cruise every summer.  They kid gets to choose where they want to go.

I thought I'd be afraid of being out in the ocean, but I loved it.

I remember the first time I went on a cruise I asked the waiter why he never got sea sick.  He said, "Just don't think about it.  When was the last time you saw a little kid getting sea sick"?

It made sense to me and none of my girls were ever sick.  However, the people in the compartment next to us vomited the entire cruise.  I felt so sorry for them.  We could hear them all hours of the night.

Thanks for posting.  Maybe I'll think about Viking.  I love their commercials....Smiley Happy

The waiters answer made me laugh....spoken like someone who doesn't (and has never experienced motion sickness).  I would suspect those that are most likely to have this problem already know and don't go on cruises...I don't....I get car sick to air sick to boat/ship sick...it's a bummer for sure.  I do fly and take medication for it but that's very different then being on a ship for a week or more...I'd have to be on strong meds the entire time which make me so tried I can't function so what's the point?  On a plane I get off a few hours later and stay on land for the rest of the trip so no problems.  Not sure where I got this from...my parents didn't have this problem but one of my kids is like me and does.  Husband never gets like that...can do anything.  I sure wish I could too.

To all you ladies that can enjoy these cruises....go and have fun!!  That Viking line or the river cruise line I see on TV all the time looks awesome.