Super Contributor

So, I went on my first ocean cruise

My first ocean cruise was on a Viking cruise line. All I want to do is get back on 

an ocean cruise with that line and travel more.

They were fabulous. Every detail was perfect. Great food, wine, excursions

and we lacked nothing. There was never a line for anything. Plenty of space for all.

Anyone else in love with cruising?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: So, I went on my first ocean cruise

I too love to cruise. Unpack once and see a lot of ports. Viking is a great cruise line. We like Regent cruise line also. I would love to do one of the European river cruises. 

Glad you enjoyed yourself, welcome home! 

Respected Contributor

I have never been on one but hope to one day soon.

Honored Contributor

Everybody that I know who has cruised loves it.  I really would like to try it, but I don't think I could get on the ship.  The idea of it scares me.

Honored Contributor

My last cruize cured me of the urge to cruise forever.  We left from Seattle and the captain made a beeline for the open sea instead of the inside passage, hell-bent on getting to Juneau by morning.  My sister and I got sick as dogs.  Wipped us out for 2 days.  I've never been lover of the sea.  I'm  a mountain girl.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

Everybody that I know who has cruised loves it.  I really would like to try it, but I don't think I could get on the ship.  The idea of it scares me.

OMGosh--sounds like me!  I love to travel--by air.  And I get that people are afraid to fly.  But being stuck on a ship for days, only getting off when I'm allowed to get off, frightens me.

Then there's the unrealistic side of me that is sure a rogue wave (or tsunami) will hit the ship.  Or a fire on the ship and we end up in the water.  Or there really is a monster that rises out of the sea.....

Honored Contributor

@petepetey Wow!  You did it in style!  I've been on several cruises.  I've seen the Viking cruises advertised and my daughter's mother-in-law is always trying to get me to take Viking.

I'm very outgoing and she keeps telling me if I went alone I'd have a lot of fun.

I know I would.  I can talk to anyone about anything.  But my point is there wouldn't be anyone to say to:  "Do you remember when we did this or that"?

I'm a widow and my late husband and I used to talk about things we did together in our 38 years together.  All of you widows know what I'm talking about.

I loved going on cruises.  So daughter's mother-in-law and father-in-law have cruised around the world at least 3 times and been everywhere in the world so many times even they've lost count.

Right now they are with my grandson in Japan.  They took him on a 3 week cruise a few weeks ago.  They take every grandchild (they have 10, I have 8) on a cruise every summer.  They kid gets to choose where they want to go.

I thought I'd be afraid of being out in the ocean, but I loved it.

I remember the first time I went on a cruise I asked the waiter why he never got sea sick.  He said, "Just don't think about it.  When was the last time you saw a little kid getting sea sick"?

It made sense to me and none of my girls were ever sick.  However, the people in the compartment next to us vomited the entire cruise.  I felt so sorry for them.  We could hear them all hours of the night.

Thanks for posting.  Maybe I'll think about Viking.  I love their commercials....Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@petepetey I agree that Viking is a wonderful company. I have not done their ocean cruises, but have done their river cruises. The one in Russia was fantastic. Next summer I will be using them for a river cruise in the Ukraine and then go over into Romania for a drive thru Transylvania and a tour of Dracula's castle.

I remember the food on the Russian river cruise was fantastic! Loved all of the regional food they served. The crew was wonderful to everyone, and the guided tours, lectures, and night entertainment were all great. I have a fond memory of a country that has so much to see.

If you have time, I hope you will post your experience over on the Travel Forum so other cruisers will read about your great time. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'd cruise to Peoria if I could.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Contributor

@petepetey wrote:

My first ocean cruise was on a Viking cruise line. All I want to do is get back on 

an ocean cruise with that line and travel more.

They were fabulous. Every detail was perfect. Great food, wine, excursions

and we lacked nothing. There was never a line for anything. Plenty of space for all.

Anyone else in love with cruising?

We are on the Viking Star in September on a 13 day ocean cruise to the Mediterranean! It's our first trip to Europe and I am really excited! What itinerary did you do??