Honored Contributor

Re: So I ordered one of those DNA/Genetic tests...

@CLEM  Where were you from in Germany? My family was from Coburg (where Prince Albert was from). On my great great grandmothers & grandfather's head stones it says they were born in Coburg then the date but died in Pittsburgh and the date. They were married when they were 13 & 14 years old so they could be sent to live with relatives in the USA.Some kind of conflict was going on and their families were afraid they would be killed if the didn't get them away.All their family who stayed in Germany were killed.

Respected Contributor

@Preds wrote:

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

Hi,

I really enjoyed this thread!  Can anyone let me know how much these tests cost and how long you have to wait for your results?  Our former president used my line about being a mutt.  That is and has been my answer when asked about my heritage.  Actually 7 of my dad's family came over from England and two of the 7 brothers had the same first name.  How confusing must that have been?

I ended up getting Ancestry and 23 and Me off Amazon, I think.  You can also google them and go straight to their sites.  It takes 6-8 weeks to get results back.  One of mine came back in 4, but the other one took longer.  Prices vary depending on the "kit" or information you are looking for.  Plan on around $60.00 to 200.  It's your call on that part.

Hope this helps @Jackhound Mom.  I've enjoyed finding out nothing new.  LOL  It's been interesting, but it does make me want to know more.

@PredsThank you so much Heart

Respected Contributor

@butterfly123  Thanks you!!!  See you later Cat Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

Hi,

I really enjoyed this thread!  Can anyone let me know how much these tests cost and how long you have to wait for your results?  Our former president used my line about being a mutt.  That is and has been my answer when asked about my heritage.  Actually 7 of my dad's family came over from England and two of the 7 brothers had the same first name.  How confusing must that have been?

@Jackhound Mom  There are Father's Day sales going on which is why I jumped in.  I got 23andMe with medical information for $148 including shipping.  They are running a 30% off sale.

If you just want the ethnicity, I've seen Ancestry DNA is on sale for only $69.  Not sure what 23andMe's version is at with the 30% off.  You may want to check. 

@Laura14  I appreciate your kind and helpful answer!  Thank you Cat Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I am confused about what the DAR is.  Sorry to ask yet another question.  Thank you in advance for your answers and have a great weekend Cat Embarassed

Respected Contributor

I did this in 2016 and told my parents were both of strong german descent.  I expected it to come back reflected more that way but I was actually 1% more Italian/Greek and lots of different things that were surprising.  I had a lot of ppl say they don't believe the results.  

Well, two of my cousins' children took the test and it came back that based on our DNA, we are all either first or second cousins and we are, we all know each other.  

Yep, and DNA sure doesn't lie.  Cousin had a child at 16 and the BF bailed and she raised the child alone.  Her mother has always been upfront about her real father but just recently pursued trying to find him but decades later her mother had misspelled the last name slightly (not on purpose). DNA test came up with a very similar last name and she found half siblings but her father had died and she's since met her new family.

We are more intrigued by someone showing as having a very very strong chance of being a cousin we've never heard of and it is from our maternal side of the family bc the 3 of us that are matches on the registry all match with her.  We suspect our GM had a child before married and either it was adopted or over a hundred years ago was often when girls just disappeared for a year and came back and the child may have just been "given" to a family to raise.  This woman told us she was going to look into it further.  

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@CLEM  Where were you from in Germany? My family was from Coburg (where Prince Albert was from). On my great great grandmothers & grandfather's head stones it says they were born in Coburg then the date but died in Pittsburgh and the date. They were married when they were 13 & 14 years old so they could be sent to live with relatives in the USA.Some kind of conflict was going on and their families were afraid they would be killed if the didn't get them away.All their family who stayed in Germany were killed.

@151949  I am from near Heidelberg.   That must have been a very long time ago when your ancestors were able to escape Germany.  You know in those days what is now known as Germany, was called The Holy Roman Empire of German Nations.  Only in the latter part of the 18 hundreds did all the different states get united and became Germany.  Until then they all were under the Austrian Empire who in turn was under the Pope.  Pretty complicated isn't it.

Honored Contributor

@CLEM they were born in 1754 and 1753 - came to the colonies in 1767. 9 years before the revolutionary war at 13 & 14 years old. I think the world was a brutal place back then. Had these 2 children not been sent here then I assume the entire family would have been wiped out. I can't imagine how difficult this was for them.

I did not know that the country I know as Germany was part of the Roman empire at one time.