Honored Contributor

Re: So I have been pondering about life after Harvey

I've especially wondered about the Katrina evacuees who moved to Houston:/

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I would imagine many people will be walking away from their life as they knew it, taking what they can and gathering the courage to go on with a new life that may or may not be the one they ever dreamed of having.

@SilleeMee  Very thoughtful post.  I really wish people would take a moment to reflect on this instead of crowing about how good they have it in their area.

I can't seem to stop thinking about it. I think right now they are in over drive and cleaning up...and in a week or two...it will all hit them. Gad I feel for what they are going through...same went for Katrina and Sandy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

Employment is my biggest concern for Houstonians.  Many people live paycheck to paycheck and now no income will be coming in for them.

Would the insurance companies allow for cars to be total losses regardless of how it happended?  I don't know if floods would negate car insurance for that purpose.

1. @Cakers3   People who lose their jobs because of the hurricane, will be eligible for unemployment insurance if they have worked long enough
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Some banks are announcing that we will be getting a 90-day grace period on car loans and mortgages, if needed.  Neighbors are helping neighbors as best as we can.

Respected Contributor

That's pretty much what happened to people when Katrina hit New Orleans in 2005.

Some of those people were relocated to sections of the country they had barely heard of.  They were put on planes and they didn't know where they were going.  They had to start over.

I was working with a woman from New Orleans (in Utah) and her family still lived there in the 9th Ward.  There was nothing to go back to.  Her sister's family and her mother got in a car and drove to TX to start over.  No jobs, house, nothing.

I think I remember that they applied for assistance, got a small apt, and took any job, although her sister was a social worker and the husband was a policeman.

I think you just have to get whatever insurance payout that you can, file bankruptcy on the rest.  Your credit will be shot, but lenders may give you a break due to the circumstances.  I'd think there would be special provisions for the circumstances.

Honored Contributor

I don't know the answer. What I would do now is look at what those who lived through Hurricane Katrina did and what the state/county/government did.

In my neck of the woods, Hurricane Isobel almost bankrupted us due to the damage done to our property; not due to the hurricane first hand but due to the loss of power for a week which led to our property flooding (6 feet in our basement) and costing us $110,000 worth of repairs NONE of which was covered by insurance. My in-laws had a boat that was the ONLY ONE in the marina not to be destroyed; why, no one knows but the photo of their boat at the dock surrounded by pieces of wood from 34 other boats was shown on air, in papers as how bizarre Mother Nature works sometimes.

There are still people living in FEMA trailers on the Eastern Shore.. and Isobel hit in 2003.

I wonder if at this level of devastation if loans are forgiven/written off; if the state has something in place that helps with these loans when President declares it a state of disaster or if people are hounded till the end for money owed.

Excellent question. 

Respected Contributor

I have no answers.  Their lives are forever changed.  Hopefully those who suffered loss will be able to find a path to recovery and move forward.  God bless them all. 

Honored Contributor

The engine in my almost-new car was ruined when my son drove it through some flood water (not Harvey).  My insurance paid for a new engine and a rental car.  Yes, cars are covered if they are damaged by flood water minus the deductible. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Employment is my biggest concern for Houstonians.  Many people live paycheck to paycheck and now no income will be coming in for them.

Would the insurance companies allow for cars to be total losses regardless of how it happended?  I don't know if floods would negate car insurance for that purpose.

@cakes  People who lose their jobs because of the hurricane, will be eligible for unemployment insurance if they have worked long enough. 

@Kachina624  True but first they have to apply and some is better than nothing.

There will be so many who are not eligible and will have to depend upon some gov't assistance overall.

It's a very sad situation overall.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

If it happened to me and if it were possible to rebuild my home and have my life back before the storm...I don't think I would rebuild in that part of the US. Climatologists have been warning us about the rising water near and along coastlines and it's only going to get worse.