Valued Contributor

Re: So I have been pondering about life after Harvey

My friend and I were talking about this today.  

If your home/ car/ yard  was flooded with raw sewage how could you go back? 

Would you let your children/pets ever play in the yard again?  Are there tests for this to see if it is safe?  Is there enough rain to wash it away? 

I am not sqeamish but, I am not sure I would want to go back to a home that had been floating in sewage.

I do hope and pray that jobs can be found/created/returned to, so that there is a place to begin to start over.

Honored Contributor

I may be off base... but maybe it should be a requirement we all have flood insurance if we own a home?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The engine in my almost-new car was ruined when my son drove it through some flood water (not Harvey).  My insurance paid for a new engine and a rental car.  Yes, cars are covered if they are damaged by flood water minus the deductible. 

I did the same thing to my new car! It was totalled after that and insurance covered it.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

I don't know the answer. What I would do now is look at what those who lived through Hurricane Katrina did and what the state/county/government did.

In my neck of the woods, Hurricane Isobel almost bankrupted us due to the damage done to our property; not due to the hurricane first hand but due to the loss of power for a week which led to our property flooding (6 feet in our basement) and costing us $110,000 worth of repairs NONE of which was covered by insurance. My in-laws had a boat that was the ONLY ONE in the marina not to be destroyed; why, no one knows but the photo of their boat at the dock surrounded by pieces of wood from 34 other boats was shown on air, in papers as how bizarre Mother Nature works sometimes.

There are still people living in FEMA trailers on the Eastern Shore.. and Isobel hit in 2003.

I wonder if at this level of devastation if loans are forgiven/written off; if the state has something in place that helps with these loans when President declares it a state of disaster or if people are hounded till the end for money owed.

Excellent question. 

Sorry for your losses...unimaginable.

Respected Contributor

@croemer, I'm w/ you. I can't stop thinking about it either. Those poor, poor people.

If you'd had a job, chances are that place was also destroyed. No money coming in, no home, no car, no nothing.

What do you do?

It's heartbreaking.

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

I think that some people will walk away from the mortgages and/or car loans and I worry about the effect that will have on the overall economy nationwide. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Lapdog wrote:

My friend and I were talking about this today.  

If your home/ car/ yard  was flooded with raw sewage how could you go back? 

Would you let your children/pets ever play in the yard again?  Are there tests for this to see if it is safe?  Is there enough rain to wash it away? 

I am not sqeamish but, I am not sure I would want to go back to a home that had been floating in sewage.

I do hope and pray that jobs can be found/created/returned to, so that there is a place to begin to start over.

All good questions...I would be so upset and worry my self to death over it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

The engine in my almost-new car was ruined when my son drove it through some flood water (not Harvey).  My insurance paid for a new engine and a rental car.  Yes, cars are covered if they are damaged by flood water minus the deductible. 

I did the same thing to my new car! It was totaled after that and insurance covered it.

Lets say your car is 2 years old...do they cover the value of the car or you owe on it?

Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

@croemer, I'm w/ you. I can't stop thinking about it either. Those poor, poor people.

If you'd had a job, chances are that place was also destroyed. No money coming in, no home, no car, no nothing.

What do you do?

It's heartbreaking.

@sabatini EXACTLY!

Valued Contributor

I feel like it would be like grieving when you (I) suddenly lose someone. At first I was very busy with all the at hand aspects. The drive of people and having all the tasks at hand. Then after awhile it all settles in. That's when it will all come crashing down. Imagine the older people displaced. Those that are alone. I hope they all have a strong faith,