Honored Contributor

So I have been pondering about life after Harvey

:womantongue:I do that from time to time.

Lets say you live in Houston and you have a job, a house with a mortgage(NO FLOOD INSURANCE) and newer car with payments. You live in an area that has never flooded in Houston. Harvey hits..your house is flooded due to Harvey or releasing of waters from the levees, your car is newer...flooded also and you have payments to make.

How do you start over? Where to begin? Financially you already have house and car with payments you still owe.Man Sad

I can not imagine what they are going through and the overwhelming situation and stress.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

Re: So I have been pondering about life after Harvey

Legislation to allow deferred payment of loans?

Honored Contributor

Employment is my biggest concern for Houstonians.  Many people live paycheck to paycheck and now no income will be coming in for them.

Would the insurance companies allow for cars to be total losses regardless of how it happended?  I don't know if floods would negate car insurance for that purpose.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good questions guys. You may not have a job...you may...but if your house is destroyed, your car is destroyed...you owe on both...your credit is shot. How do you start over...who will lend you money? Bad credit...how would you get a new car.

Wow...it would be overwhelming.

Honored Contributor

I would imagine many people will be walking away from their life as they knew it, taking what they can and gathering the courage to go on with a new life that may or may not be the one they ever dreamed of having.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I would imagine many people will be walking away from their life as they knew it, taking what they can and gathering the courage to go on with a new life that may or may not be the one they ever dreamed of having.

Thats about what I thought.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee  Very thoughtful post.  I really wish people would take a moment to reflect on this instead of crowing about how good they have it in their area.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@croemer  I just had to tell you - I love your byline at the bottom of your posts. 😃

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

@croemer  I just had to tell you - I love your byline at the bottom of your posts. 😃

@itsmagicTY...TY very much. lol

Trusted Contributor

I have been wondering the same thing as I see the videos of soiled furniture and household items piled high in front of houses.

I also have a friend that moved to an adjoining area a few months ago for a great new job and now she is concerned that she may get laid-off. (I don't think she will; she's sharp and will help the owners rebuild their assets).

You can't just decay, you have to go on, one step at a time.