Trusted Contributor

Re: So I have been pondering about life after Harvey

@MickD wrote:

@croemer I was wondering if insurance, loan, mortgage companies give a grace period, ie 3 months, after such disasters.

Yes, they do.  

Respected Contributor

@SarahW wrote:

@MickD wrote:

@croemer I was wondering if insurance, loan, mortgage companies give a grace period, ie 3 months, after such disasters.

Yes, they do.  

Not necessarily. JP Morgan Chase, for example, is waiving late fees on certain loan products through September 10. Other lenders I read about are suspending late fees and negative credit reporting for 30/60 days, and 90 for customers within the FEMA-declared disaster areas.

People need to check their status with their lenders.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lapdog wrote:

My friend and I were talking about this today.  

If your home/ car/ yard  was flooded with raw sewage how could you go back? 

Would you let your children/pets ever play in the yard again?  Are there tests for this to see if it is safe?  Is there enough rain to wash it away? 

I am not sqeamish but, I am not sure I would want to go back to a home that had been floating in sewage.

I do hope and pray that jobs can be found/created/returned to, so that there is a place to begin to start over.

@Lapdog

Not to mention awful mildew and deadly mold.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

I've also been wondering about all the talk about 'rebuilding' homes & businesses.

But how many carpenters, electricians and plumbers can there be???!

An amidst such a tragedy, will questionable repair people descend on that area w/ the intention to scam?

@sabatini

I wonder where quality trades people would come from anyway.  Those are NOT the skills folks have emphasized in proposed job creation programs.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mike Rowe, from Dirty Jobs, was on MSNBC, talking about the lack of enough skilled workers in TX today and that people don't want to up and move to another state for jobs like we used to do.

I believe the video is available if anyone wants to search for it.  He was on Ali Velshi's show.  I'd link it but it would probably be poofed.

And, yes, this man was a QVC host long ago.  I never saw him in that role.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Mike Rowe, from Dirty Jobs, was on MSNBC, talking about the lack of enough skilled workers in TX today and that people don't want to up and move to another state for jobs like we used to do.

I believe the video is available if anyone wants to search for it.  He was on Ali Velshi's show.  I'd link it but it would probably be poofed.

And, yes, this man was a QVC host long ago.  I never saw him in that role.

@tansy  True, skilled workers are in demand but: you have to consider the 3 million transplants in Texas who came here recently for jobs in education, tech, and medical fields.  Couple those fields with lower cost housing and you have an influx of people with skills in those areas.

Skilled workers in construction related jobs have been diminishing in many states;

but Houston, Austin, and San Antonio are in the top 5 cities to where Americans are moving.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

People who live in apartments are receiving eviction notices with a 5-day window to move.  Some landlords are refusing to return security deposits.

I don't know what the laws are but where are tenants supposed to go??

The rightful concern about private homeowners is overshadowing this issue..

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

My heart goes out to the people in Texas and I know our focus should be on those that are alive.

For many this may sound morbid but my sister lived in Houston her entire married life.  Both she and her husband are buried there.  I cannot help but wonder about the condition of the cemeteries.

I do remember horrible stories about past floods where the ground gave up what was buried. It was a nightmare for those who saw what happened and a nightmare for those who knew it could be their loved ones.